Intern Duties at the Bear Sanctuary
- Picking up and/or unloading supplies, including 50-pound bags of seed and 35-pound bags of fruit and nuts. Heavy lifting is often a part of the job and is therefore required.
- Daily cleanup of feeding areas and scat removal
- Maintaining the property, including carpentry projects
- Planting, mulching, weed-eating and other landscape improvement projects
- Preparing and distributing bear food mixtures
- Splitting firewood, road maintenance and other miscellaneous tasks
- Maintain records on bear activity and behavior
- There may also be opportunities to work with the MN DNR on special projects
- Research projects are sometimes available upon request. If it is a requirement for your internship, an advisor must oversee the research project
- Cooking meals for staff and volunteers, and kitchen cleanup
Jobs during evening/visitors’ hours include:
- Assisting with admission and parking cars
- Greeting visitors on their arrival
- Talking with the public and answering their questions
- Educating the public about black bears, ecology, behavior, practical environmental conservation and land stewardship
- Preparing formal 3-8 minute deck talks that interpret bear behavior and debunk any myths and misconceptions our visitors may have regarding bears
- Execute a prepared 5 minute introductory bus talk on the history of the bears and Vince Shute
- Sale of souvenirs and educational materials in the gift shop
- Promoting membership to the American Bear Association
Visit our website to find a online application. Please ensure that you send in all documents required to qualify.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.