Hancock Forest Management, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Hancock Natural Resource Group, is seeking qualified candidates to join the West Louisiana Harvest Team based out of the Mansfield, Louisiana office. In this position you will work on the Harvesting Operations side of the business administering contracts, marketing timber sales and monitoring environmental compliance on an annual harvest budget of approximately 200,000 to 300,000 tons of pine and hardwood timber. You will accomplish these activities in a fast paced, team-oriented environment; outdoors most of the time, with office time as needed. The outdoor environment for this position is in the beautiful piney woods of Northwest Louisiana. Working in the woods with a variety of logging contractors, landowners, and cooperating foresters requires effective communication skills. Helping you accomplish your goals will be a harvest team that consists of six foresters and one administrative assistant that report to the West Louisiana Region Manager.
This position will report to HFM’s Mansfield , Louisiana office. A home office opportunity is available to candidates with the requisite experience and qualifications. The home office opportunity would require the successful candidate to live between Mansfield, Louisiana and Leesville, Louisiana.
As a member of HFM’s West Louisiana Harvest Team, you will be given the opportunity to:
- Directly manage 200,000 to 300,000 tons per year of logging production with an emphasis on sale preparation, logger productivity, environmental compliance, product merchandising and delivery coordination.
- Work effectively as a member of a team of highly skilled professionals focused on achieving our clients’ financial goals.
- Provide excellent service to our mill customers by meeting or exceeding wood delivery targets, communicating delivery plans, and ensuring that all products meet or exceed customer specifications.
- Lead timber sale administration for your assigned area including sale set up, environmental compliance, timber security, utilization, and post-harvest work.
- Negotiate, execute and administer contracts associated with logging production, road construction and maintenance, and the sale of forest products including lump sum, per unit, or delivered sales.
- Provide input to the annual harvest and expense budget preparation.
- Plan and forecast wood supply delivery objectives.
- Gather and analyze market intelligence to help negotiate prices with area mills.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with timber procurement personnel, logging contractors and HFM personnel in other areas.
- Cross train with the Land Management team to develop reforestation and silvicultural skills as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree in Forestry or similar discipline
- Knowledge or ability to learn and apply key financial concepts to business decisions
- Must be self-motivated and a team player
- Strong communication skills
- Customer service oriented
- Experience in managing contracts is a plus
- Strong computer and analytical skill-sets desired including Microsoft Office and ArcGIS
- Knowledgeable in product merchandising and local market specifications is desired
- Experience in logging operations including safety, BMP compliance, road maintenance, and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI®) is not required, but is preferred.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.