2,500 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done—the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is seeking a Mid-Level Biologist to join our Environmental Sciences team in our Frenso,CA office. Working on one of the state’s largest infrastructure projects, we are looking for a biologist with experience in the Central Valley to work alongside our environmental compliance team in our project field office.
- Candidates are expected to be able to be self-motivated and take initiative to organize, execute and coordinate project assignments within assigned budget.
- Candidates are required to be able to prepare high quality Biological Resources Technical Reports and biological sections of environmental documents.
- Demonstrated success in supervising staff on project related tasks, being solution-orientated, and fostering positive relationships with clients, agencies and staff.
- Demonstrated experience with preparing and reviewing applications and permits for state and federal resource agencies including: US Army Corps of Engineers Section 404 permit, Regional Water Quality Control Board Section 401 Water Quality Certification, California Department of Fish and Wildlife Section1600 Streambed Alteration Agreements, USFS Special Use Permits and water crossing permits, CDFW 2081 Incidental Take Permit, USFWS Section 7 and 10 consultation.
- Consult with clients and agencies on overall permitting and environmental compliance strategies.
- Conduct habitat (vegetation) assessment & mapping.
- Conduct fieldwork necessary to complete biological and other environmental assessment and compliance documentation.
- Experience with liner infrastructure projects.
- Work with environmental planning managers to gather and prepare sections for planning documents such as environmental impact reports, initial studies, and mitigated negative declarations.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Bachelor of Science degree required in a related discipline from an accredited university.
- 7-12 years of experience in California.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the Central Valley, (dealing with California biological resources issues) is a must.
- Extensive knowledge of the biota in the western intermountain and desert region of the US, with knowledge and experience of state and federal wildlife protection regulations and guidelines for species of concern, state and federal listed species, and candidate species.
- Candidates should have a solid background in wildlife, taxonomy, and/or botany, and be familiar and proficient with current survey protocols and field project logistics.
- Experience with NEPA/CEQA. Experience with liner (transportation, energy, or water) projects would be beneficial, but not required.
- Knowledge and experience with Clean Water Act, state and federal Endangered Species Act and Migratory Bird Treaty Act
- A willingness to conduct field biological surveys periodically and to work long hours in the field.
- Flexibility in work assignments - location and type of assignments will vary.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required.
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful completion of a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs-stantec.icims.com/jobs/25774/job
Stantec is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.