Organization: Blackfoot Challenge, Ovando, Montana (www.blackfootchallenge.org)
Terms: 1.0 FTE (full-time), non-exempt, Salary DOE ($35-45K annually), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Medical stipend and Matching retirement.
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to operations [at] blackfootchallenge.org
Deadline: April 14, 2017 or until position is filled.
Start Date: Immediately
Celebrating 20 years of partnerships, the Blackfoot Challenge is a nonprofit organization with the mission to coordinate efforts that conserve and enhance the natural resources and rural way of life in the Blackfoot Watershed for present and future generations. The Blackfoot Challenge was formed to build bridges between people with a stake in the landscape and those with decision-making authority to create lasting solutions that benefit people, wildlife and the land. Working groups made up of community members respond to community needs with programs for: water conservation; invasive weed control; land conservation and stewardship; placed-based conservation education; forest health; economic sustainability; and wildlife conservation.
This is a full-time position working to support core watershed programs, managing administrative, financial, fund development and Board development functions. The Operations Manager will report directly to the Executive Director, and will work closely with the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors and all staff. This is a core leadership position for the Blackfoot Challenge, and critical to supporting committees and partnerships.
The Operations Manager will provide services in the Blackfoot Watershed. Attendance will be required at monthly Blackfoot Challenge Board of Director meetings. The Operations Manager will attend other meetings in the Blackfoot Watershed or surrounding area. Limited travel in Montana, regionally and nationally may be required.
Essential Support Functions (percent of each function):
Administrative (30 percent)
- Manage internal operations, including office services, data processing, and member database.
- Coordinate with the Outreach Coordinator & Office Administrator to prepare and distribute bulk mailings.
- Manage recruiting process, including job descriptions, advertising, screening, and support to review teams.
- Manage information technology: computer hardware and software, website, email servers and telephones.
- Support Executive Director and Personnel Workgroup in developing human resource policies and procedures.
- Generate monthly timesheets for employees.
- Generate monthly reports on current and prospective grants and agreements for Board Meetings.
- Support Outreach Coordinator in maintenance of www.blackfootchallenge.org website.
- General support with outreach activities such as Annual Report compilation, sporadic mass mailings, & annual photo contest.
Financial (15 percent)
- Payroll Tasks: Monthly payroll reporting to Accounting Firm, coordinate grant source coding on employee time sheets with Grants & Finance Manager, generate Finance Committee progress reports and financial expense records, manage monthly IRA withdrawals.
- Coordinate quarterly Finance Committee meetings.
- Coordinate annual Endowment Committee meeting.
- Manage annual budgeting process in coordination with Executive Director, Finance & Grants Manager and Committee Coordinators.
Fund Development (50 percent)
- Manage online donations and integration with Salesforce donor database; Distribute digital donor thank you letters.
- Manage the Annual Appeal, including creation with the Executive Director, distribution and tracking.
- Manage the relationship database for major gift donors.
- Research online fund development sources and databases to find new prospects.
- Coordinate new fund development pipeline.
- Assist in grant preparation by assembling financial documents and other requested organizational materials.
- Coordinate board and staff participation in fundraising events including the Partners Tour, pint nights, and other events.
- Generate donor and grant development reports.
Board of Directors Development (5 percent)
- Coordinate the Nominations Committee in close association with the Nominations Committee Chair.
- Update and distribute annual Board Nominations Packets and Board Orientation Packet for incoming Board members and mentees.
- Five years of experience in nonprofit management or similar position.
- A bachelor’s degree is required in business, nonprofit management or related field.
- Capacity to develop innovative and creative solutions to problems.
- Ability to prepare, collate and organize data.
Basic Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Must support the mission and community-based approach of the Blackfoot Challenge.
- Must maintain a working knowledge of Blackfoot Challenge programs organizational goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must have basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Appreciation of watershed group dynamics and resource partnerships.
Desired Knowledge, Experience, & Skills:
- Experience with Quickbooks and Salesforce desired.
- Experience working with a variety of private landowners and public managers is desired.
- A master’s degree in nonprofit administration or related field.
Ability to use office equipment such as telephones, computers and copy machines as necessary. Some light lifting and bending are also necessary. Some travel will be required.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.