Program Officer Internship with Sustainable Grenadines Inc.
Sustainable Grenadines Inc (SusGren) is a bi-national NGO that is empowering the people of Grenada and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines to develop a prosperous and sustainable blue economy. Through partnerships with the governments of Grenada and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, grassroots organizations and the private sector, we are improving natural resource management in the Grenadine Bank Seascape, an area of outstanding biodiversity value that contains the most extensive coral reefs in the south eastern Caribbean.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented and committed conservation / development professional to join our team as program officer. This is a partially funded internship – accommodation costs are covered for a period of at least six months.
The main duties of the project officer will be to:
- Conduct desk research (from sources such as research reports on ecosystem health, community consultations, national protected areas system plans and other policy documents) and synthesize information for other team members (fisheries coordinator, MPA coordinator, program manager, executive director) and partners (TNC, MPA managers, policy-makers, community groups, tourism sector companies)
- Assist, when necessary, in collecting biophysical data at monitoring sites
- Assist with conducting interviews with local marine stakeholders to gather information whilst being an ambassador for SusGren’s work
- Assist the SusGren MPA coordinator to build capacity and facilitate coordinated research and management action across a network of six marine managed areas
- Assist the SusGren MPA coordinator in supporting to Tobago Cays Marine Park to implement priority management actions, including installation of yacht moorings
- Assist the SusGren executive director with project monitoring and evaluation
- Draft project performance reports, contracts and other project documents
- Write press releases, Facebook posts and other communications materials to promote project activities and results, raise awareness and catalyze action to protect the marine environment by stakeholders
- Train a junior staff member (administrative and research assistant) in skills for project management
- Assist with project co-ordination and administration, including ensuring data layers and files are kept up to date
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills and attributes:
- A high quality bachelors degree in a related field (e.g. environmental science, marine biology, international development, economics, communication)
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- A passion for the environment and community development
- Energy, enthusiasm and creativity
The following would be desirable:
- A graduate degree in a related field
- Experience in project management, community development, media communications, fisheries management or marine protected area management
- Experience using GIS software
- Experience working in the Caribbean or a developing country
Benefits of working for SusGren include:
- Contributing to a team that is getting results for biodiversity conservation and sustainable development
- Gaining valuable professional experience working with diverse stakeholders
- Being part of a dynamic, multi-cultural team that is passionate about sustainable development
- Living and working on a beautiful and friendly Caribbean island
- Adventure in two countries with world class diving, sailing and kite-surfing
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the role to Julia Baker, at email@example.com by 26th March. Please title your email “Program officer”. Short-listed candidates will be contacted by 5th April.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.