The Office of Sustainable Fisheries (OSF) works to manage fish stocks important to commercial, recreational and subsistence fisheries and strives to facilitate effective communication between and among constituents. The Domestic Fisheries Division is responsible for implementation of the Magnuson Stevens Act and any other national fisheries management legislation. The Division works with Regional Offices, Science Centers, the regional fishery management councils, states, and constituents to develop and implement national fisheries management policies and regulations. In 2015, NOAA Fisheries released the National Saltwater Recreational Fisheries Policy and subsequent Implementation Plan. The Domestic Fisheries Division is developing several fishery management policies and implementation plans, and implementing the National Saltwater Recreational Fisheries Policy, including conducting regional roundtable discussions, developing outreach materials and developing and implementing other recreational-related products.
The Recreational Fishery Coordinator will support the maintenance of day-to-day recreational fishing-related operations, including support for the National Policy Advisor for Recreational Fisheries and the National Saltwater Recreational Fisheries Initiative, engagement and responses to constituent inquiries, and supporting implementation of the 2016-2017 Regional Implementation Plans. Will also analyze and review informational materials for consistency with NMFS policy. Specific duties include:
* Leading the planning, development, and coordinated release of official reports and correspondence including the 2017 National Implementation Plan Progress Update, the Regional Recreational Fisheries "Snapshots", and others as they emerge;
* Leading efforts to advance strategic collaborations including initiating cross-region, program, and/or line office meetings; facilitating a Recreational Fish team "presence" (staff and/or outreach materials) at tradeshows, fishing shows, and other community events; and collaborating with regional, program, and/or line offices to develop the necessary outreach/engagement materials;
* Leading the planning and execution of various Recreational Fisheries Initiative meetings including the annual Recreational Fisheries Coordinators Meeting and the National Initiative Engagement Team Meeting;
* Supporting the Recreational Fishing Initiative budget planning, tracking, and reporting;
* Supporting the development, continued advancement, and execution of Agency Recreational Fisheries congressional engagement strategies;
* Supporting the planning and execution of nine constituent meetings across the country by providing travel/logistic support and preparing resulting summary/presentation of findings;
* Coordinating agency presence at the 2017 World Recreational Fisheries Conference;
* Providing program support, ass needed, including participating in applicable planning and coordination meetings in order to provide or collect information regarding agency policy, programs or regulations; and assisting in the support of applicable NOAA programs, initiatives and activities including those intended to improve safety and security, mission function, communication and overall efficiency.
3+ years of experience providing fishery management expertise and program coordination skills to efficiently and effectively support the mission and goals of the Office of Sustainable Fisheries and the Domestic Fisheries Division. Must have experience with marine policy analysis and implementation including the Magnuson Stevens Act and any other national fisheries management legislation. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Must have experience with public outreach. Experience with recreational fishing policy and programs preferred. Experience with NOAA a very big plus.
Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
BS in Fisheries Science, Environmental Management, other relevant discipline, or equivalent.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.