The McKenzie River Trust is offering (1) field-based position to an individual interested in assisting with floodplain restoration and managing land for ecologic goals. The majority of the work will take place in the field on the Green Island property owned by the Trust near Coburg. Additional work may take place on other Trust owned properties and the MRT office in Eugene as assigned. The McKenzie River Trust is a land trust based in Eugene that helps people protect and care for the lands and rivers they cherish in Western Oregon.
This is a 6-month temporary position. May 1, 2017 start date preferred.
Restoration and Stewardship Associate will perform the following activities:
- Invasive plant management
- identify and GPS/flag non native plant species
- mechanical control (using a variety of methods: weedeater, clippers, grubbing, mower, sprayer)
- chemical control: apply herbicides safely and effectively, according to labels, laws, and best practices to achieve restoration objectives
- Maintenance and monitoring of native plantings
- Mowing on tractor or other machinery
- irrigate native trees and shrubs (e.g. drip, aluminum hand line, wheel line)
- Riparian/stream habitat assessments
- Work with volunteers, partners, and MRT staff to accomplish tasks
- Safely operate and maintain machinery (weedeater, chainsaw, tractor, & Bobcat)
- Assist Restoration Projects Manager with the maintenance of equipment
- Assist Restoration Projects Manager with contractor management/scheduling as needed
- Other related tasks as assigned
Knowledge, skills, and abilities desired:
- Interest in floodplain restoration, ecology, botany, related fields
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed
- Experience with operation of power and hand tools commonly used in restoration projects, including weed-eaters, mowers/tractors, weed wrenches, and chain-saws
- Ability to identify and distinguish among common native and non-native plants in the field
- Ability to work long hours under adverse weather conditions (dry, hot, inclement weather)
- Ability to lift 50lbs and work in a bent-over/kneeling/sitting position for long periods of time
- Must have valid drivers license and personal transportation to the site
TO APPLY: Email a letter of interest and resume (PDF preferred), and contact information for minimum of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Restoration and Stewardship Associate” in the subject line. Address cover letter to Christer LaBrecque. Position is open until filled. Review of application materials will begin on: April 4, 2017.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.