The Restoration Operations Specialist is responsible for assisting in the restoration of San Francisco Bay Estuary tidal marsh transition zone projects at Save The Bay by leading community-based restoration programs, assisting with project planning and implementation, coordinating education and restoration activities,, and maintaining field and office equipment for community-based restoration and education programs. The Specialist serves as a liaison and support for restoration field staff as well as supporting the Restoration Program Manager and the Nursery Manager in advancing adaptive tidal marsh restoration.
The Restoration Operations Specialist will spend approximately 60-70% of their time leading field programs, carrying out habitat restoration work, and completing out-of-office tasks. Remaining time will be spent in the office ordering supplies, inputting data, developing new materials, and performing other tasks necessary for the successful operation of the Restoration program.
- Lead one-day habitat restoration field programs approximately 3-4 times a week for adult and student volunteers. Volunteer tasks include: native seed collection, non-native plant removal, propagation and outplantings, and shoreline trash and debris removal.
- Work most weeks Tuesday-Saturday.
- Ensure current best restoration practices including invasive plant removal techniques, native planting and volunteer-associated programmatic improvements.
- Participate in project site planning and strategy.
- Communicate program logistics to staff, including weekly updates and project registrations; retrieve and track project reports from staff.
- Oversee field staff safety and train all staff in best safety management practices and protocols.
- Assist in new staff hires and training for new field staff,.
- Supervise and train Restoration Team Fellows in the field.
- Communicate with site partners on program logistics and coordination.
- Oversee all purchasing of equipment and supplies for restoration programs and native plant nursery; manage equipment and supplies budget.
- Manage and maintain inventory of restoration tools, equipment, and safety gear, and manage and maintain trucks.
- Assist with administrative record keeping.
- Coordinate monitoring days and input monitoring data efficiently and maintain monitoring databases.
- Assist with operation and maintenance of native plant nurseries.
- Work with restoration team to develop new student and adult education and team building curriculum.
- Undertake independent and group research projects as necessary.
- Present at professional conferences and formal gatherings as a representative of Save The Bay and the Habitat Restoration Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree (B.A. or B.S.) in ecology, environmental studies, biology or related field.
- Two to three years experience in leading high quality outdoor environmental education programs and/or habitat restoration projects.
- 1-2 years experience in wetland restoration.
- Experience in restoration monitoring and data management.
- Energy and enthusiasm for working with volunteers of diverse backgrounds and differing ability levels.
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of reliability in managing data and records using Excel.
- Computer proficiency with Windows software package and Internet research applications.
- Initiative, creativity, and collaborative work style.
- Passion for and commitment to Save The Bay’s mission.
- Ability to work weekends.
- CPR certified (if not certified, training courses are offered frequently and partially subsidized by Save The Bay).
- Clean background check.
- Valid California driver’s license and favorable driving history.
- Ability to lift at least 40 lbs.
We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, life insurance, 403(b) plan, paid vacation, paid holidays and sick time.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, March 17th. Subject line: Restoration Operations Specialist -- [your last name]. No phone calls, please.
Or mail to:
Restoration Operations Specialist Search
Save The Bay
1330 Broadway, Suite 1800
Oakland, CA 94612
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.