Share your love of science, conservation and nature with youth age 8-18 at Mount St. Helens. See the full job description online here.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Education (90% of time)
- Facilitate safe and educational programs for youth ages 6 through 18
- Lead science activities and hikes
- Develop science and outdoor learning activities
- Maintain and organize educational supplies
- Communicate with teachers, group coordinators and parents
- Evaluate programs and develop necessary reports
- Work in team to develop program schedules
- Manage waivers and other program documentation
- Respond to risks, complaints, and injuries
- Help prepare and serve meals for programs
- Conduct light cleaning of the facility after programs
- Other (10% of time)
- Host groups renting the Science and Learning Center
- Attend community outreach events
- Support other Mount St. Helens Institute programs including guided hikes
- Support US Forest Service programs
- Complete other tasks as directed by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental education, ecology, geology or related degree OR 3 years of equivalent experience
- Demonstrated 1+ year experience teaching and leading outdoor, science-based education programs for youth, such as at a camp or education center.
- Knowledge of and passion for natural history
- Experience developing activities for youth
- Ability to work both independently and in groups in remote areas with minimal supervision
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the Mount St. Helens Institute
- Ability to pass a background check
- Have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record for the past three years
Email the following information to email@example.com by March 6, 2017 with the subject line: “Science Educator.” Please, no phone calls.
- Cover letter including the following
- Why you want the position
- What skills you have that prepared you for the position
- When you are available to start and end, and any dates you will be unavailable
- How you found out about the position
- Contact information for 3 references
*In accordance to Federal law and US Department of Agriculture policy, this Institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.