April 2-Sept 30 OR April 30-Oct 28, 2017
Americorps: $5,200 stipend, $2,887 ed award, housing available
"Connecting Community with Nature" is the Galena Creek Visitor Center's vision, implemented by dedicated environmentalists. Avenues for impact include guided hikes, school field studies, community programs, and summer camp.
The Visitor Center Naturalist/Host will serve as a primary contact with the public through several venues including over the phone, in-person, and through special events outreach. The Galena Creek Recreation Area encompasses Washoe County and U.S. Forest Service lands and is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, 17 miles from Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
The Naturalist/Host will communicate information regarding the Galena Creek Recreation Area’s and Lake Tahoe’s geographic features, recreation sites, hiking and recreation opportunities, and local regulations to visitors. Weekly schedules will include weekend days.
We are fortunate to live and work at 6,400 ft elevation in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a short distance from the incomparable Lake Tahoe. Six natural ecosystems are within a 20 minute drive: High desert, forest, still water, wetlands, mountains and rangeland. You will see wild horses and coyotes and may see bears.
The Naturalist will have the opportunity to assist with outdoor, discovery- based education through school field studies and summer camps for children ages 8-17.
As a member of GBI’s AmeriCorps Education Award Program, the Naturalist/Host will:
- Maintain the Galena Creek Visitor Center and GBI-furnished equipment in proper working order including, but not limited to 4x4 vehicle(s), GPS unit(s), field map(s) and compass, computer(s), field tools, etc.;
- Work with agency partnership to accomplish their goals and objectives in land management, research, education, and community service;
- Be prepared for field excursions and service projects when required;
- Complete all necessary documentation for AmeriCorps Education Award, including reflections, surveys, evaluations, time sheets, etc.;
- Participate in GBI and Galena Creek Visitor Center training opportunities.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is an AmeriCorps position, and candidates will receive a stipend of $5,200. Upon successful completion of the AmeriCorps service term, members shall receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award in the amount of $2,887.50 that can be used for paying off student loans, or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
- Shared, on-site housing is available at no charge for Counselors over the age of 18.
- Trainings provided include but are not limited to: First aid and CPR course.
Timeline: April 2 – September 30, 2017 OR
April 30 – October 28, 2017
Additional Position Details:
- Assist in providing interpretive services to members of the local community and out-of-area visitors.
- Assist with coordination, preparation and presentation of outdoor, discovery- based education for adults and children;
- Lead community, informational hikes;
- Interact positively with the public and provide information about the surrounding area;
- Assist with social medial and website upkeep;
- Assist with daily center upkeep.
- Experience interacting with all ages in an educational setting is desirable;
- Knowledge of biology, ecology and/or conservation is highly desirable;
- Motivated, self-starter who is detail oriented;
- Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public in a variety of forums;
- Ability to speak English conversationally; conversational ability in Spanish desirable but not required;
- Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, (2) eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime, or equivalent of two full-time terms of service), and 93) pass National Sex Offender Public Registry (NSOPR) and federal criminal background checks.
Apply to email@example.com
Call 775-849-4948 with questions
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.