The Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife Resources is seeking a Wildlife Recreation Technician with the DWR Northern Regional office, Conservation Outreach section in Ogden, Utah.
The Wildlife Recreation Technician assists the Outreach Manager and Wildlife Recreation Program Specialist with promoting, implementing, and evaluating Wildlife Recreation Programs designed to increase customer recruitment and retention. These programs include, but are not limited to: community fisheries, continuing education clinics and workshops (angling, hunting, watchable wildlife), events and expos, communication, shooting sports, volunteer services/dedicated hunter, and watchable wildlife program.
The ideal candidate will have:
- knowledge and experience in the wildlife field
- a passion for outdoor recreation
- knowledge and experience with hunting and angling
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain relationships with stakeholders and consumers in regards to wildlife
- experience in training which will be used to instruct consumers on wildlife recreation
- knowledge and work experience using social media, such as Facebook, in a professional environment
- the ability to work well individually as well as with a team
Example of Duties:
- Writes or drafts correspondence, reports, documents and/or other written materials.
- Conducts interviews to gather or clarify wildlife conservation and recreation information for social media and weekly regional fishing reports.
- Develops and presents consumer awareness clinics, seminars, information and education material to consumers and other wildlife oriented special interest groups.
- Acts as a resource for community fisheries recreation partners and other wildlife oriented groups to provide information or determine the most effective way of meeting the needs of management, staff, clients or customers.
- Trains and supervises volunteers.
- Maintains and/or creates files or record keeping systems. Sorts, labels, files and retrieves documents, or other materials.
(includes knowledge, skills, and abilities required upon entry into position and trainable after entry into position)
- knowledge in management, protection and conservation of fish and wildlife
- prepare social media materials that is suitable for mass media distribution including, writing, photography and video production.
- speak clearly, concisely and effectively; listen to, and understand, information and ideas as presented verbally
- communicate information and ideas clearly, and concisely, in writing; read and understand information presented in writing
- deal with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism
- coordinate the activities or tasks of people, groups and/or organization(s)
- find, gather and collect information or data
- use automated software applications
- interviewing techniques
- deliver presentations or training using acceptable methods and techniques
- develop curriculum, learning objectives, and/or course materials
- use automated software applications
- agency and/or organizational program(s)
- applicable laws, rules, regulations and/or policies and procedures
- establish, organize and/or maintain files
- enter, transcribe, record, store, or maintain information in either written or electronic form.
- functionally supervise volunteers
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
(Depending on the task being complete, this position will be both sedentary and require physical exertion.)
- When working in the office, there are risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to perform the work; however, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying light items; driving an automobile, etc.
- When working outdoors, physical exertion may be required. The employee is required to be able to stand; walk over rough surfaces; bend, crouch, stoop, stretch, reach, lift moderately heavy items (up to 50 lbs.) in a recurring manner and/or for long periods of time. This position requires regular work outdoors under all weather conditions.
- Regular in-state travel
- Required to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.