The Consultant shall support the establishment of robust national accounting and environmental management inventories, using best practice and well-recognized MRV frameworks and developing tailored set of methodologies in the areas of emissions of ambient air pollutants and/or Greenhouse gases, from identification, to estimation, to quantification, to reporting and to verification of emissions data. Domestically, these inventories will serve to better capture and manage data, thus supporting the implementation of energy and environmental policies and building local capacity. Internationally, they will help the UAE fulfill its obligations under various agreements and conventions to control emissions and protect atmospheric environment.
The Consultant will act as a technical expert and advisor to GGGI (and any team led thereby) in efforts to establish data inventories and management systems for UAE federal ministries, chief among them the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment and Ministry of Energy.
The Consultant will report to GGGI and provide input and advice on the design, progress and completion of projects and provide feedback on quality of outputs, relying on experience of similar projects and applying his/her knowledge to the UAE’s context.
Scope of work
The assignment centers around developing inventory and data management methodologies based on international bets practice. The sector and project will be selected with the UAE government but will be within the bounds of the NGGS and atmospheric emissions inventory MRV frameworks.
- An Advanced degree (at least Masters, PhD preferable) in environmental science, physics, physical chemistry, air quality modeling, climate change or related field. with at least 15 years of professional experience in air quality and GHG inventory development, project management and/or research
- More than 15 years of experience, with proven experience in developing national ambient air quality/GHG emissions inventories and air quality management strategies
- Demonstrated track record in completing analytical and technical reports (both qualitative and quantitative) at the country level
- Experience in working with the government of the UAE or other GCC countries, international organizations, development partners, and high-level authorities
- Knowledge of UAE’s local development context specifically its economic, environmental and social policies, institutional and governance framework, and the like
- Ability to facilitate stakeholder meetings and mobilizing different development actors and stakeholders in consultative events such as workshops and high-level meetings
- Proven record in strategic planning exercises on air quality and GHG inventories
- Understanding of developing countries’ context in relation to green growth planning, resource conservation and environmental management
- Excellent analytical skills, critical thinking ability, and data mining skills
- Superb writing, editing, and proofreading skills in English, Arabic an advantage
- Strong managerial, communication and diplomatic skills