Restoration Equipment Manager
Position: Part time (30 hours/Week)
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
American Conservation Experience (ACE) is seeking a part Restoration Equipment Manager with extensive background working with conservation corps and restoration equipment. Qualified candidates must have the ability to handle concurrent operations in a fast paced environment, the determination to encourage and enforce compliance with all elements of ACE’s safety policies, and the skills to train and develop ACE’s corps members.
ACE is a rapidly growing, dynamic, multi-state non-profit organization with the reputation for providing professionally supervised crews and career-minded AmeriCorps members to undertake critical natural resource management projects for federal, state, and local agencies. ACE’s national headquarters is located in Flagstaff, AZ and operates crew branches in California, Utah, and North Carolina. ACE’s Emerging Professional Internship Corps conducts field activities and internships nation-wide.
The Restoration Equipment Manager will focus on preparing and supporting ACE’s Southwest branch with maintaining equipment. This position is a field based position that will report to the National Restoration Program Manager and work directly with ACE staff to project equipment needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work as a team with other members of the ACE support staff.
- Adhere to ACE's policies
- Communicate directly with the National Restoration Program Manager on condition of restoration equipment.
- Assist National Restoration Program Manager in training ACE field staff, corps members, and interns in the use of chainsaws, herbicide handling, brushcutters, chippers, axes, and any other equipment related to restoration projects.
- Prepare restoration equipment for project.
- Oversee restoration crews in de rigging procedures
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of all chainsaws, brushcutters, chippers and other equipment relevant to restoration projects while keeping ACE shops tidy and above OSHA standards.
- Oversee Gas and other Flammables in the Arizona shop and keep the area above OSHA standers and tidy.
- Guide Crew Leaders and Corps members in basic maintenance and troubleshooting of restoration equipment.
- Assist National Restoration Program Manager with planning and teaching crew leaders and members on maintenance of restoration equipment.
- As time allows, upkeep and maintenance of the power carries, UTV, and other power tools.
- As time allows may be asked to assist in maintenance and upkeep of large trails equipment such as trail dozer and mini excavator.
- Must have and maintain a WFA certification.
- Over 1 year of chainsaw operating experience.
- Over 1 year of pesticide use
- Over 1 year of teaching and training experience
- Basic skills in the maintenance and repair of chainsaws, brushcutters, pole saws, pesticide sprayers, and any other equipment relevant to restoration projects.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex safety issues
- Applicable working knowledge of young adult development, team-building and motivational techniques.
- Skills managing time.
- Ability to adapt to surrounding work environment and conditions that can change frequently.
- Able to perform a wide variety of heavy manual labor for extended periods of time
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with ACE staff, crew leaders, and corps members.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to learn and understand and follow ACE systems and processes.
- Willingness to learn and develop personally.
- Strong leadership, management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate tactfully and professionally verbally and in writing.
- Commitment to ACE’s mission and to public service through youth development and volunteerism.
Start Date: Open until filled
Length of Term: We are seeking a dedicated, career-oriented candidate to help ACE support and manage the ACE restoration equipment and crews. 1 year commitment following a successful completion of an initial 6 month probationary period.
Compensation: Starting pay depends on experience.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to ACE’s National Restoration Program Manager, Afton McKusick (email@example.com).
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.