The Indiana Audubon Society, Inc. Executive Director has overall responsibility for advancing the Society’s mission to educate its members and the public about the natural world and the threats it faces, to engage in advocacy to preserve and protect natural systems, and to promote stewardship and conservation in conjunction with the Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary. Under general oversight and direction from the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will fulfill a contract in order to implement the strategic plan and pursue funding opportunities to ensure the Society’s success. Future contracts dependent on funding. The position would report to the IAS Executive Committee; a part of the IAS Board of Directors. A large percentage of the position’s responsibility would be focused on the Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary (MGBS) in Fayette County. Additional work would be done statewide promoting state initiatives that IAS provides, such as Bird Town Indiana
For more details about the position and to submit your resume, please visit our website.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
For period: July 1, 2017-December 31, 2017 (with possibility of renewal pending funding)
EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT
- Serve as an effective spokesperson to promote the IAS mission.
- Create and assist in the implementation of community initiatives through the Bird Town Indiana project, with the goal of establishing 3 new Indiana Bird Towns.
- Assist the Field Trip Chair with regular field trips, both in and out of state, for IAS and the public, with a goal of 12 field trips.
- Develop and implement monthly education programs to groups, with emphasis on the Fayette County region.
- Engage and educate the public and IAS members through social media channels with a goal of reaching 40,000 people.
- Cultivate active and diverse volunteer participation in IAS initiatives and at Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary.
- Promote use of Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary through stewardship days, educational programs, natural resource management programs, and publicly promoted activities.
FUNDRAISING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Cultivate partnerships with local non-profits, organizations, and state chapters of National Audubon Society for collaborative programming and promotion.
- Pursue and implement funding opportunities for IAS, including long-term operational funding.
- Develop relationships with public officials and business leaders to help IAS promote its mission.
- Develop and promote protocols for individuals and organizations to support IAS via donations, gifts, wills, and trusts.
OPERATIONS AND MANAGEMENT
- Assist with communications on behalf of the IAS, including the creation of a Director’s Message and/or article for each Cardinal issue.
- Provide assistance to appropriate IAS Committees as determined by the Board of Directors, including recruitment of editors for IAS publications.
- Attend and participate in all regular Board of Directors meetings.
- Complete monthly activity reports to be given to the Executive Committee.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The individual selected for this position will be an Independent Contractor. This position does not include benefits.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.