We are recruiting several Forestry experienced sawyers to work in a permanent full time role on the Hawaiian Islands. Full relocation, excellent salary, benefits, health insurance etc..
- Limb and cut felled trees to log length, stump and deck.
- Lead swampers in the moving and piling of bucked and limbed trees in preparation for burn.
- Skid felled trees to a designated point from trail.
- Cut and pile slash in preparation for burn.
- Operate heavy equipment for the purposes of moving felled trees, logs, stumps and slash.
- Perform preventative maintenance on machinery and attachments, as outlined in the manufactures operational manual.
- Participate in manual labor aspects of the job. This includes chipping, raking, stacking etc... The vast majority of projects are executed mechanically, however there are still instances when we have to manually handle material.
- Cuts and fells trees in accordance with instructions in thinning and logging operations; cuts limbs; stacks slash and debris; shrubs and vegetation.
- Observes, inspects and monitors the status and progress of the work; reports to the crew boss of hazards, issues, concerns and status of projects; maintains basic records of work performed.
- Performs and assists with forestry labor activities such as construction of erosion control barriers, reforestation, cone collection, fence repair and new construction.
- Reading and interpreting standard plans, maps and instructions.
- Safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the work.
Experience: A minimum of 2 seasons of verifiable work experience felling trees in professions including wild-land firefighting, trail building/maintenance, logging, or other related profession.
Must have at least 2 years of experience operating heavy equipment. Need someone who can safely and efficiently operate large skid-steers with various forestry attachments. I.e. tree shears, mulchers, grapples etc...
Special Certifications/Licensing: Valid Driver’s License. USFS certification as an A, B, or C sawyer is highly preferred.
- CPR and First Aid certification within (60) days of hire.
- Chainsaw (Sawyer) certification, Class Faller A, B or C within one (1) year of date of employment.
- ATV Operator certification within one (1) year of date of employment.
- Firefighter Type 2 certification within one (1) year of date of employment.
- Wildland fire response training.
- Herbicide applicator operator certification within one (1) year of date of employment.
- Continuing education in a natural resources field; continuing technical education.
Medical Requirements: Medical Examiner’s certification & medical long form (fit for duty).
Education or Formal Training: USFS S-212 course or equivalent. / High school or General Equivalency Diploma (GED);
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Bulldozer, skidder, back hoe, brush saw, chainsaw, hand tools, gasoline, oil, lubricants and simple office equipment.
REQUIRED PERSONAL QUALITIES
Honesty, Responsibility, Team Player, Self Reliant, Stable – Able to work effectively in a small 2-3 member team.
Please send an email with your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.