This is an AmeriCorps service position through the Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute AmeriCorps Program. Members selected provide service to communities with unmet environmental needs. They serve 1700 hours over the course of 11 months. There is an additional position at this site which is a half-time position, 900 hours over the course of 5 1/2 months. The term dates are approximately September/October through June/July for the full time and the half time position dates are TBD. Members will earn a living stipend.
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain work experience in an environmental field. The sponsoring organization will adequately train the individual to complete the required service.
The direct sponsor for the position is the Boise Urban Garden School
• 18 years of age or older, at beginning of service term.
• U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
• Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent, or commit to earning one prior to receiving
• Ability to commit to the full term of service for which they are applying.
• Successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check provided through PCEI.
• Complete and submit all necessary PCEI AmeriCorps paperwork and reports in a timely manner.
• Attend and complete all PCEI AmeriCorps training and service requirements including
orientation, trainings, team meetings and national service days.
• Wear PCEI uniform and/or appropriate identifiers and required safety gear while performing
service or attending official events.
• A cooperative manner and the ability to serve as part of a diverse team.
• Regular and reliable attendance and dependability.
• Minimum one year experience teaching to children; interest in and enthusiasm for working with
youth and adults.
• Knowledge of general computer programs and equipment.
• Experience with environmental education, or STEM content knowledge preferred.
• Ability to communicate with clarity and conciseness to individuals and groups; convey respect,
assistance, and resourcefulness, in a friendly manner; maintain a flexible schedule; display an
attitude of cooperation and work harmoniously with all levels of City employees, the general
public and other organizations; communicate effectively in the English language at a level
necessary for efficient job performance; complete assignments in a timely fashion; understand
and comply with all rules, policies and regulations; maintain prompt and regular attendance;
and perform all essential and marginal functions as assigned by an authorized employee,
supervisor and/or manager with or without a reasonable accommodation.
• All applicants must be able to successfully pass City of Boise background check processes which include reference checks and criminal history checks.
• City of Boise Defensive driver training. Member will need to be able to drive a City vehicle.
• Member will be required to complete a First Aid and CPR certification course
Member Benefits Include
• A taxable, monthly living allowance ($12,630.00/full-time member, or $6,325.00/part-time member, paid over the term of service).
• Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members receive an education award of
$5,775.00 for a full-time position or $2887.50 for a part-time position. The education award can be used to repay qualified student loans or for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational or trade schools. The education award is taxed in the year that it is used.
• Loan forbearance (after successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps will pay the accrued
interest on qualified loans, which is taxable.)
• Basic medical insurance for those who qualify. Part-time members not working in a full-time capacity (40 hours/week) do not qualify.
• Childcare allowance for those who qualify.
• Professional development, trainings and networking opportunities.
• Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals and conduct all activities in full accessible settings.
• Access to City of Boise ILearn online training programs; sample training topics include social media; child abuse and neglect and reporting requirements; workplace safety, etc.
Project Location and/or Transportation Needs:
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT WILL INCLUDE INSIDE CONDITIONS AND OUTDOOR WEATHER
Dates of Service: Full-time: 11 months, between September 2017 and July 2018 (These dates are
approximate. Part-time: 5 ½ months at approximately 40 hours/week, or position can be spread out
over 11 months on an alternate weekly schedule. Dates may be flexible.
To apply or for further questions: Please send your resume and cover letter to Joan Alexander, Placement Coordinator at the Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.