Director of Education
Description: A full-time director and educator position with Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens to manage our school, camp, outreach, after-school, and public programming. The ideal candidate will be comfortable teaching a wide variety of ages from pre-school-aged children through adults. Botany and horticulture knowledge required. General knowledge pertaining to other environmental education topics, such as sustainability, environmentalism, STEM-based learning, is also necessary. Candidates should be familiar with current educational trends and techniques at a local and national level, and be comfortable providing developmentally-appropriate programming to a diverse population in both urban and suburban settings.
- Secure state licensing for all children’s programs.
- Develop, schedule, and market adult education programming.
- Develop, schedule, and market external after-school programs.
- Work/Plan children’s programs at BAG events.
- Direct and teach school programs, including our city-wide second grade program.
- Direct vacation and summer camps.
- Supervise other educators and camp counselors.
- Plan lessons and design curriculum.
- Plan and support new education initiatives.
- Collaborate on external marketing of programs through website, direct mail, social media, press releases, and other innovative solutions.
- Attend camp and school fairs and community events, as needed, to market the programs.
- Keep camper records and registrations in database.
- Completing any other projects assigned by the CEO.
- Master’s Degree in plant science, environmental science, biology, education, or related field preferred.
- Minimum five years teaching experience.
- Minimum three years management experience.
- Experience working with children in indoor and outdoor settings, providing them with safe, but enriching, learning opportunities.
- Familiar with both Mac and Microsoft platforms, high proficiency with Microsoft Office and Outlook. Experience with database management software is preferred.
- Must be able to work in a team setting as well as independently; flexibility and strong interpersonal skills are key.
- Enthusiasm for the botanical and natural world and sharing it with children and adults is a must.
- Must submit to background check and fingerprinting.
- Must be willing to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Experience working in a non-profit setting a plus.
- Must have experience designing curriculum and implementing new programming.
- Must have current CPR/First Aid certifications or be willing to obtain.
- Must hold a current and valid driver’s license.
About Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens:
Nestled among the historic landscape of Southwestern New England, the Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens is a natural preserve like no other in this region. The property features 93 acres of irreplaceable open space, highlighting the best of what Connecticut's native landscape has to offer: magnificent award-winning Champion trees, charming gardens, wildflower meadows, red maple wetlands and boardwalks, woodland walking trails, varied wildlife, and native habitats. A wonderful getaway from the hustle and bustle of daily life, we serve as a leading recreational and educational resource for area residents and visitors of all ages. For weekend gardeners to budding young botanists, the Bartlett offers a place to relax, learn, and play.