Amazon Conservation’s mission is to unite science, innovation and people to protect the Amazon - the greatest wild forest on Earth.
As conservation pioneers since 1999, we have used science to guide our multi-pronged approach to environmental conservation and restoration in the Amazon. Our founding program provided support for Brazil nut harvesters in Peru, as an incentive for protecting the forest. Since then, the organization has grown to protect over 8.7 million acres of rainforest, establish Peru’s first conservation concession, host thousands of scientists and tourists at our three premier conservation hubs, empower indigenous communities to develop forest-friendly livelihoods, and so much more. Our on-the-ground efforts are focused in the headwaters of the Amazon basin, where the Amazon Forest meets the Andes Mountain range in southeastern Peru and northern Bolivia. And to spread our impact, we are working in partnership with a range of organizations across the greater Amazon.
For more information, please visit www.amazonconservation.org.
Amazon Conservation is looking for a Senior Accountant to support the accounting and financial functions of our organization from our Washington, DC office. The position reports to the Director of Finance and coordinates closely with staff in Peru, Bolivia and Washington DC as well as with partners in other countries in the Amazon.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced accountant to support Amazon Conservation in carrying out our new strategy to help us grow and achieve greater impact at scale across the Amazon.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, at least 4 years of relevant work experience, excellent organization skills and experience using accounting systems, tools and different platforms. Fluency in Spanish is highly preferred and Portuguese is a plus.
- Produce month-end, and year-end financial statements and other reporting items accurately and timely. Analyze financial statements for discrepancies and alert the Director of Finance as needed.
- Handle monthly closings recurring entries and all day-by-day data entry (JE, AP, AR, GL).
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reconciliations for balance sheet and profit and loss statement accounts including, bank accounts, undeposited checks, credit cards, AR, AP, accruals, prepaids, fixed assets and intangibles, to ensure accurate reporting and general ledger reliability.
- Oversee revenue-generating accounts (individual and corporate contributions,) and handle the platforms used for fundraising purposes, reconciling data with our accounting system.
- Manage the active grants tracking document to update the accounting system with expenses, releases and revenue recognition. Invoice donors as needed and track payments according to agreements.
- Review financial reports from partners and expenses reports from ACA staff and process payments via wire transfers and using other platforms (such as Bill.com).
- Ensure compliance with accounting standards and regulations.
- Assist the Director of Finance compiling data and schedules required for audits and tax filings
- Provide thorough, accurate and timely budget vs. actual reports for different projects and perform analysis for early detection of needed adjustments or reclasses.
- Assist the Director of Finance in gathering and compiling the information for annual and quarterly budgets and reforecasts, respectively.
- Work closely with the programs and development teams, and partners communicating clearly and collaboratively to coordinate and resolve financial matters, improve procedures and processes in a timely and effective manner.
- Proactively communicate status and flag relevant issues, suggesting improvements when possible.
- Other duties and areas of responsibility as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Minimum of 4-5 years of professional level experience in the non-profit accounting field.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principle (GAAP) is required.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks or QuickBooks Online.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint).
- Attention to detail, thoroughness, organization, accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and multi-task efficiently.
- Confident working independently and using initiative to guide through challenges.
- Team player with ability to work amicably with a variety of cultures and personalities while maintaining professionalism.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality within the organization with a high level of personal ethics.
- Intermediate proficiency in written and spoken Spanish. Portuguese is a plus.
- CPA obtained or in progress.
- Experience working with Google Drive (Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Slides).
- Experience working with various platforms to manage expenses, invoicing and fundraising.
- Advanced excel skills, including VlookUps, SumIfs and Pivot tables.
- Ability to work in a cloud-based environment.
Please note that since the COVID-19 pandemic, Amazon Conservation staff has been working remotely, with time in the office between one to two times a week. This position will remain a hybrid position and the candidate must be located in the DMV area (Washington, DC - Maryland - Virginia) to access our DC office for periodic meetings and team coordination.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and a list of three references via email to email@example.com with the subject title “Senior Accountant.” Applications without a cover letter will NOT be processed. Due to the high volume of applications, the organization will only reply to finalist candidates. No phone calls, please. EOE.
Candidates are reviewed on a rolling basis. Position open until filled and is available immediately.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership|