Adventure Trips Leader
South Shore YMCA - Camp Burgess & Hayward
|Salary Details||$920/bi-weekly (with housing)|
|Deadline||Jun 09, 2023|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
Spend a summer exploring beautiful Cape Cod, and make a positive difference in the lives of teenagers! Camp Burgess & Hayward’s Adventure Trips offers 12 – 17 year olds a unique summer experience starting at our Base Camp on Cape Cod, on a property surrounded by 300 forested acres and three freshwater ponds. We then lead our campers on trips around Cape Cod and the Islands, and to Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine & Vermont.
We offer 1-2 week trips with a variety of focuses, including: biking, surfing, cave exploration, and camping. Our trips also involve swimming, paddling, high ropes, outdoor cooking, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, and exploring the many beaches and summer activities that Cape Cod and New England has to offer. Campers attend our programs from across the United States and abroad to take advantage of our unique and exhilarating programs.
We provide a fun and supportive atmosphere for our campers to try new activities and forge lasting friendships. We strive to instill a love of the outdoors in our participants, while fostering leadership skills, encouraging effective communication, and living in a communal environment. This job is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference when kids need it most, following the challenging last few years.
TRIP LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Co-lead 8-12 campers throughout the summer on 6 to 12 day co-ed excursions around Cape Cod, the Islands, and beyond
- Ensure safety of participants at all times
- Be a good role model for fellow staff members and campers, and embody the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Facilitate meal planning and preparation
- Create a fun environment, foster a positive group dynamic, and facilitate debriefing of group activities to encourage learning and growth
- Effectively teach outdoor and trip-specific skills to campers. All necessary skills are taught during staff training; no specific skills required prior to employment. Outside professionals facilitate some activities, including surfing, and rock climbing.
- Drive 10-passenger vans, 15 passenger buses, and tow trailers with vehicles
- Manage trip finances and logistics
- Keep paperwork organized and up to date
- Manage and care for equipment
- Passion for working with teens in the outdoors
- 21+ years old with a clean driving record
- Current Lifeguard and First Aid/CPR Certifications or willingness to obtain prior to start date
- Experience working with youth, especially in a leadership and mentorship role, managing group dynamics, and coordinating logistics
- Safety-conscious, energetic, flexible, responsible, patient, fun and compassionate
- Previous outdoor experience. Experience in some of our specific program areas is a plus: biking, paddling, surfing, camping, etc.
June 11 – August 18, 2023
Opportunities for spring & fall employment in Outdoor Education may be available
Email a resume to email@example.com
For more information, please visit Our Website
Adventure Trips Director
South Shore YMCA, Camp Burgess & Hayward
75 Stowe Road, Sandwich, MA 02563
Direct: (508) 428-2571, ext. 115 Fax: (508) 420-3545
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Environmental Education, Outdoor Recreation|