|Salary Details||Estimated at $90,000; based on experience|
|Deadline||Dec 18, 2023|
Reports to: Director of Migratory Bird Habitats in Latin America & Caribbean
Salary: Estimated at $90,000; based on experience
The mission of American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is to conserve birds and their habitats – the places birds need to thrive – across the Americas. We are a growing group of 125+ dedicated staff, located across the United States and with a network of partners from Canada to Chile. Each year, we grow in budget and staff, and we deliver more results aimed at preventing bird species extinctions and reversing declines that are reducing populations of nearly all bird groups. Our work is guided by our principles, which include a commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI).
ABC seeks an entrepreneurial person with project management or program development experience to lead ABC’s development of the BirdsPlus Index. The BirdPlus Index is a tool to evaluate and monitor conservation value of sites (particularly restoration, agroforestry, ranches, and other working lands) using birds (detected via acoustics) as indicators. It will provide an essential tool to measure conservation benefits of best practices and impact investments on working lands for birds.
- Lead development and implementation for projects that contribute to ABC’s overall strategic framework and annual plan by working directly with ABC’s partners to develop and implement bird/biodiversity monitoring projects.
- Projects will focus on developing the BirdsPlus Index, a tool using avian bioacoustics to assess and compare sites and measure the biodiversity and ecological benefits of conservation practices within working lands, habitat restoration sites, and nature reserves. Developing this tool will involve the design and implementation of field trials, as well as data analysis and publishing results in peer-reviewed research journals.
The BirdsPlus Index Manager will regularly communicate with partners and field staff to track project progress, as well as to resolve problems that may arise; track the financial and programmatic results of projects; and communicate project results within ABC, and to external audiences including donors, investors, and the public.
- Advanced degree in biological sciences, wildlife management, or a related field with knowledge of conservation, ecology, ornithology, and management needs of birds in the Americas.
- At least five years of experience with avian monitoring research in Latin American or Caribbean, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience implementing monitoring systems and designing monitoring and data collection tools.
- Knowledge on programing and deploying bioacoustics monitoring equipment in different biomes and analysis of results preferred.
- Ability to develop monitoring standards and track best practices for program development, including demonstrated experience scaling projects or new products.
- Basic knowledge on agricultural land uses (e.g., cattle ranching, agroforestry, forestry, etc.) is a plus.
- Well organized with keen attention to detail and results-oriented. Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, have the tenacity and creativity to solve difficult problems, and bring an entrepreneurial spirit to pursue new conservation opportunities.
- An outgoing, positive, persuasive manner and predisposition for innovation and collaboration, but with ability to work both independently and as part of teams, as well as with international partners.
- Background screening required;
- Must be authorized to work in the US; US citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, and employer-matched retirement savings, flexible schedule, etc.
- Paid vacation days (starting at 15 days annually and increasing to 20 days after 1 year of employment), paid holidays (including both US holidays and additional ABC holidays) and sick leave.
- Lodging, meals, and transportation covered for work-related travel away from home.
- Rental vehicle or personal mileage reimbursement where applicable.
Please apply on Paylocity.
If you have difficulties, please email your cover letter and resume to HR@abcbirds.org.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer; ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Ecology, General / Stewardship, Wildlife|