|Job Type||Paid Internship|
|Deadline||Oct 20, 2023|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service and Mojave National Preserve, is seeking One Member to contribute to the Boundary Signs project alongside NPS Staff.
For more information about ACE, please visit: www.usaconservation.org.
Start Date: 10/29/2023
Estimated End Date: 03/08/2024
*a 23-week minimum commitment is required *
Location Details/Description: Mojave National Preserve, Essex, CA
The Mojave National Preserve is a diverse mosaic of ecological habitats and a 10,000-year history of human connection with the desert. Offering extensive opportunities to experience desert landscapes, the preserve promotes understanding and appreciation for the increasingly threatened resources of the Mojave Desert. This remote preserve encourages a sense of discovery and a connection to wild places.
Two distinct desert ecosystems, the Mojave, and the Sonoran, come together in Joshua Tree National Park. A fascinating variety of plants and animals make their homes in a land sculpted by strong winds and occasional torrents of rain. Dark night skies, a rich cultural history, and surreal geologic features add to the wonder of this vast wilderness in southern California.
For more information about Mojave National Preserve, please visit https://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm.
Position Overview: The ACE Member will assist NPS staff with the replacement of 131 regulatory and boundary signage throughout the preserve. Duties may include:
- Motor vehicle operation through rough terrain to locate many of the signs
- Operation of hand and power tools to install hardware to attach signs to poles
- Installing carsonites along wilderness boundaries in problem areas due to OHV activity
- Replacing worn and sun-bleached signs along trails and in other administrative areas to enhance the visitor experience
- Installing/replacing interpretive wayside exhibits that explain the importance of natural and cultural resources
- Crew member will use mapping software and mobile devices to record location and photographic documentation data that will be turned into park staff
The weather can be both extremes extremely hot and extremely cold, individuals must be prepared to dress appropriately for such conditions. Wearing a safety vest while working along roadsides is a must. The member would be working on roadsides and need to climb ladders. Wearing PPE and steel toed shoes will be a requirement.
This individual placement is meant to facilitate professional development and promotes exposure to land management agencies and networking with professionals. This could include gaining experience in different conservation fields and shadowing different work groups.
Schedule: Monday- Friday 8am-5pm will be a normal shift.Shifts may include working weekends and or a 4/10 schedule depending on NPS staff schedule.
- Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $700/week to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
- Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a federal hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility or view general information online https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
- Housing: ACE members will be accommodated in provided housing at no cost for the duration of the term.
- Provided Training/Orientation: ACE members will receive position specific training and an orientation outlining ACE policies and procedures, clear guidance on prohibited activities, and networks for support. Specific training may include Equipment operation, tool usage, safety and inspection.
- Members must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, as required by U.S. government contracts.
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass the required two-part criminal history check
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members will need to complete bi-weekly timesheets, beginning of term feedback forms, end of term evaluations and for longer terms, a mid-term evaluation.
- Member may not participate in any prohibited activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement, please visit our website: https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
- Competitive applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing a Bachelor's Degree and/or have relevant experience in subject areas such as Environmental Science and Natural Resource Management.
- Knowledge of GIS and GPS.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in varying environmental conditions.
- Deep interest in field work, resource management and conservation.
Physical Demands, Work Environment and Working Conditions:
- Physical Demands: Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking, hiking, carrying, using hands to handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, talking and hearing. Manual dexterity required for use of various tools, computer keyboard/mouse and other office equipment. Required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and/or crouch. Ability to hike over rough terrain, and camp overnight under field conditions.
- Vision Requirements: Requires close, distance, peripheral and depth perception vision as well as the ability to focus.
- Weight Lifted or Force Exerted: Frequently moves up to 50 lbs., ability to move up to 75 pounds.
- Environmental: Majority of work will be Outdoors in extreme conditions. Weather can be extremely hot or extremely cold and can change drastically within hours.
- Noise Environment: Moderate to high noise such gas-powered chainsaws and other hand and power tools Moderate noise such as in a business office with equipment and light traffic.
- Travel: This position may require domestic travel. This position does not require unique travel.
- Environmental Conditions/Hazards: The ACE member(s) may encounter environmental conditions/hazards including extreme heat or cold, rocky terrain, swamp, or wetland conditions, biting insects, and potentially dangerous wildlife. The member is expected to conduct duties in a safe and orderly manner so as not to endanger self, fellow staff/members, or resources.
- Vehicle and Equipment Use/Safety: If a vehicle is required for the accomplishment of the duties, one will be provided by the partner or ACE. Any tools required for the accomplishment of the duties will be provided by the partner. Use of personal protective equipment (PPE), typically provided by the partner, will be mandatory for any activity that requires it. Strict adherence to partner and ACE equipment training, certification and safety protocols is required.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/. Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position, please feel free to contact Recruitment and Outreach Specialist, Emanuel Aragon Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||General / Stewardship, Outdoor Recreation|