|Salary Details||The target annual compensation for this position is $36,100.|
|Deadline||Dec 08, 2023|
Zero Waste Campaign Associate
Environment Colorado works to tackle the most profound challenge of our time: a way of living that is destroying the natural world. We are seeking an entry-level campaign associate to help lead Colorado beyond plastics, starting by eliminating the worst types of plastic like single-use plastic packaging.
We live in an economy that encourages us to buy, use, and throw away things at the greatest speed possible. But when it comes to waste like plastics, there is no “away.” Single-use plastics like cups, bags, and foam take-out containers that we use for only a few minutes will last in our environment for hundreds of years. This waste is filling our landfills, polluting our natural spaces and waterways, and even harming human health. Our Zero Waste Campaign Associate will work to help advance solutions in Colorado that move us beyond plastics.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to a broad range of organizations across the political spectrum to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on social media for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Meet with decision makers - from city council members to state legislators - to make the case for our campaign goals. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write persuasive campaign materials: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Deepen relationships with our members and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply. Though we expect you to take your campaign and run with it, we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight by an experienced advocate. Here are some of the experiences and qualities we look for in candidates:
- A campus or community leader, campaign staffer or grassroots organizer with experience building and leading on campus or in your community.
- An effective communicator with excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- Creative and effective at solving complex problems; a strategic thinker who can take advantage of new opportunities.
- A people person and good listener with a track record of recruiting people; willing and interested in working with people who think differently than you.
- A track record of hard work, perseverance, and overcoming obstacles to achieve a goal.
- Passionate about the environment and using the power of grassroots organizing to win campaigns.
- Experience interning or working in a legislative office within Congress, a state legislature, or with an environmental or public health advocacy organization is a plus but not required.
- Grassroots fundraising experience as part of a club or nonprofit is a plus but not required.
About Environment Colorado
Environment Colorado is a policy and action group with thousands of supporters across the state. Our mission is to protect clean air, clean water and open space. Over the last 50 years our network has won campaigns to dramatically expand the use of solar and other clean energy and get cleaner cars and buses on the road. We worked to pass a comprehensive ban on single-use plastic bags and polystyrene containers in the state, and strengthened protections for our rivers and streams.
Location: Denver, CO
Compensation & Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $36,100. Environment Colorado offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, paid time off, our commuter benefit program, a 401(k) plan with employer match, parental leave, long term disability insurance, and may include needs-based student loan assistance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Our Mission and Values
Why work with Environment Colorado? Check out 10 reasons on our website.
Environment Colorado is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our website for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment Colorado is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Apply online on our website.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Sustainability|