CivicSpark—a Governor’s Initiative AmeriCorps program dedicated to building capacity for local governments to address climate change, water, and land-use needs—is currently recruiting 70 motivated recent college graduates who are interested in gaining professional experience and developing technical skills while creating a meaningful and lasting impact. During the 11-month service year (September 2017 – August 2018), CivicSpark Fellows will complete research, planning, or implementation projects that provide local government agencies with the support they need to advance their water and sustainability initiatives.
The program offers two fellowship tracks: CivicSpark Climate (50 Fellows) and CivicSpark Water (20 Fellows). Climate Fellows, organized into seven regional teams (Greater Los Angeles Area, San Francisco Bay Area, San Joaquin Valley, Central Coast, Sacramento, Sierra Nevada, and North Coast) with a Regional Coordinator, work on mitigation and adaptation projects on a range of topics including sustainable transportation, energy efficiency, implementation of climate action plans, and GHG inventories and benchmarks, among others. Water Fellows focus specifically on local government challenges related to water and land-use, and serve with local leaders responding to statewide priorities in water resources, such as implementing the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) and the California Water Action Plan.
While projects vary, Fellows can expect to work on a range of tasks including meeting facilitation, community outreach, data collection and analysis, and report writing. Fellows will also have the opportunity to work on volunteer engagement projects, as well as attend regular trainings to build professional and technical skills. Fellows will complete their service year with a strong understanding of working with local governments as well as experience in using key climate change mitigation and adaptation or water management tools.
AmeriCorps was created to address community needs through service. AmeriCorps Members have the opportunity to make an impact in their community while gaining valuable career and life experience. In exchange for their service, each fellow receives the following benefits:
- A living allowance of approximately $16,000+ (before taxes) spread evenly over 11 months
- Segal Education Award of $5,815 at the completion of service
- Forbearance on existing qualifying student loans and payment of interest accrued during service
- SNAP (CalFresh/Food Stamps) benefits to those who qualify
- Health insurance
- Childcare assistance to qualifying fellows, paid to an eligible provider of your choice
- Significant professional development training
- Valuable experience in the sustainability field and the local government sector
- Network development with regional and statewide contacts in the climate and water fields
Applicants must be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S., and must complete Department of Justice (DOJ), State, and NSOPR background checks prior to service. Applicants must also have:
- A 4-year undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s) from an accredited college or university.
- Climate Fellows: A degree in an environmentally related field and one year of relevant experience is preferred.
- Water Fellows: A background knowledge of water policy, water management, or water-related sciences (coursework or project/professional experience) is preferred.
- Strong communication (both verbal and written) and teamwork skills; some experience with outreach, facilitation, and/or grassroots organizing is preferred.
- The capability to work in a professional office setting up to 40 hours a week.
- Commitment to the full term of service (11 months).
This is an equal opportunity position and we prefer to place a candidate who already lives in the community being served.
Apply for the CivicSpark Fellowship online at http://civicspark.lgc.org/join-civicspark/fellow/. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
Please do not send any resumes or cover letters via email; we will only accept applications submitted via our website.