|Salary Details||The starting compensation range for this position is $33,000-$42,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location.|
|Deadline||Dec 01, 2023|
Clean Air Advocate, Environment Texas
Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, or San Antonio
If you want to save the world, Texas is the place to do it. We emit more global warming pollution than any other state, but we also lead the nation in renewable energy. Environment Texas is seeking a Clean Air Advocate to stop pollution from the petrochemical industry, transition to 100% clean energy, and work on other campaigns to ensure clean air for all Texans.
Our Clean Air Advocate will work with our Director and other staff on campaigns to reduce pollution and move to clean energy in Texas. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Program Development and Strategy: Help develop programs and campaigns around relevant policies, including researching the issue, creating viable policy solutions, and proposing a winning political strategy.
- Advocacy and Coalition-building: Represent Environment Texas in meetings, hearings and other forums. Meet directly with decision makers in government, corporations and academia and make our case. Develop strong and collaborative relationships with state agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators and legislative staff, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals. Build relationships with unlikely allies who might agree with us on one issue, even if we disagree on other issues.
- Communications and Media: Write reports, fact sheets, news releases, blogs, op-eds, and other forms of communication to get our message in the media and heard by decision-makers and the public. Serve as the public spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other outreach with a goal of building name recognition for the organization, educating the public about our issues, and building and demonstrating support for our positions.
- Fundraising: Raise money from charitable foundations and individual donors to support our work.
- Recruitment and training: Recruit and train new interns and volunteers to increase our impact and build our power. Participate in recruitment of new staff.
- Passionate about the environment, solving the climate crisis and using the power of grassroots organizing to win campaigns.
- A campaign advocate or grassroots organizer with at least 2 years of advocacy or grassroots organizing experience. Advanced degrees may count toward experience.
- An effective communicator with excellent writing and public speaking skills. Experience getting traditional and digital media coverage in previous work is a plus.
- Creative and effective at solving complex problems; a strategic thinker who can take advantage of new opportunities.
- A people person and good listener with a track record of successful access-building; willing and interested in working with people who think differently than you.
- Well-organized and able to work on multiple legislative and administrative proposals at once.
Additional helpful experience:
- Experience in the state legislature or other government office, or with an environmental or public health advocacy organization is a plus but not required.
- Fundraising experience, particularly in grant-seeking from charitable foundations.
About Environment Texas
Environment Texas is part of Environment America. Environment America tackles the most profound problem of our time: a way of living that is destroying the natural world.
We’re advocates for energy conservation and renewable power, so we can keep oil in the ground and stop burning fossil fuels. We’re champions of plastic reduction, so nothing we use for a few minutes is allowed to pollute our oceans for centuries. And we’re defenders of wildlife and wild places, both for their own sake as well as the awe and wonder they bring to our lives.
Environment America’s national network of 30 state environmental groups work to improve our quality of life by reducing the pollution and other harms of how we produce, consume and dispose of more and more stuff. And we do it one step at a time, by winning results for clean air, clean water, clean energy, wildlife, open spaces, and a livable climate that make a tangible difference in people's lives and our environment.
Compensation and Benefits
The starting compensation range for this position is $33,000-$42,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. Candidates on the lower end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. Environment Texas offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, paid time off, our commuter benefit program, a 401(k) plan with employer match, parental leave, long term disability insurance, and may include needs-based student loan assistance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Location: Our Clean Air Advocate could be based in Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, or San Antonio.
Our Mission and Values
Why work with Environment America? Check out 10 reasons on our website.
Environment Texas and Environment America are part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our website for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment Texas is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Apply online on our website.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Policy And Law|