HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Clinical Laboratory Technician performs assigned clinical laboratory diagnostics, possible field protocols, and assigned projects in various areas within the clinical laboratory. This position reports to the Laboratory Manager, and/or Associate Director of Clinical Laboratory Services.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Receive, process, analyze, bank, ship and may collect, biological samples from wildlife in our care and conservation programs and perform care for banked samples in accordance with banking protocols.
- Responsible for producing and reporting accurate and reliable test results including entering, troubleshooting, and analyzing test results using spreadsheet and database systems and refer questionable findings to senior technicians and/or manager.
- Prepare, arrange, and maintain records for shipment of samples and process receipt of send out results.
- Ensure daily QA/QC in all areas, perform maintenance and calibration of laboratory analyzers, reporting any issues to senior technician
or laboratory manager, and ensure an adequate supply of laboratory supplies.
- Prepare data and related reports for presentation and/or collaboration with other departments.
- Update clinical laboratory, diagnostic, or laboratory field protocols as needed.
- Analyze samples, prepare for shipping and/or storing samples for Biomaterials Review Group (BRG) requests.
- May assist in training and being a resource for less experienced employees and volunteers.
- Adhere to all CDC safety protocols and organization safety protocols including disposing of hazardous waste per safety standards.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The position is primarily located at the San Diego Zoo Clinical Laboratory, Jennings Hospital with occasional monthly shifts at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (Escondido), Clinical Laboratory, Harter Hospital.
- One to two years clinical laboratory, diagnostic testing, animal care, and/or field experience preferred.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Veterinary Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology education required.
- College level coursework in biology or a related field preferred.
- Certification as a Registered Veterinary Technician, Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Technologist, or equivalent required.
- Current valid California Driver’s License in good standing required.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong working knowledge of equipment and analyzers used in a clinical laboratory preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing required.
- Working knowledge of computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, medical records and/or database systems required.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks with competing deadlines required.
- Knowledge and ability to handle biohazardous materials and potentially zoonotic samples preferred.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Position Type: Hourly Full-Time Non-Exempt Position
- Hourly Rate: $31.15 to $34.44
Apply directly to our careers page:
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.