“You can't fight these big fights on your own. You need to work with others, and you need others if you're going to take care of the places that you love.”
-Jeanie Alderson, Northern Plains Chair’19-‘21
Northern Plains is a grassroots organization of people who love where we live. For over 50 years, we have been standing shoulder-to-shoulder across Montana, to protect this place we all call home for ours and future generations.
We are working toward a future where we live in harmony with nature, where our economy serves the people rather than the people serving the economy, and where neighbors work side-by-side to build a world that lives up to our ideals of fairness, inclusion, and justice.
Check out our website for more information about us and our history: www.northernplains.org.
LOCATION: Billings, Montana
Working at Northern Plains, you’ll make change happen by using your creative skills to help build power in local communities. In this position, you’ll put your talent to work protecting clean air and water, and supporting renewable energy, healthy soils, and local food. In our communications, we strive to maintain consistent brand adherence while also embracing and encouraging new ideas, innovation, and imagination.
Any given day might include designing posters and banners for a rally to hold fossil fuel companies accountable, laying out action alert emails to support policies that create a more sustainable food system, and creating Instagram reels highlighting our work to fight the climate crisis.
We are a team of hard-working, dedicated individuals who honor and promote a healthy work/life balance. Our LEED Platinum certified office is full of natural light, outbursts of laughter, and is frequently visited by our furry, four-legged friends.
You will be directly supervised by the Communications Director and work with members from all over the state. Occasional overnight travel is required, approximately 5-7 times per year. As the Northern Plains Communications Coordinator, you’ll meet lots of inspiring people from all walks of life, and you’ll make change happen at the grassroots level.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Backup and support for the Communications Director in managing the weekly communications huddle and monthly team meetings
- Design & layout of posters, postcards, brochures, fact sheets, social media memes, etc.
- Email lead (finalize content, layout, and send several organizational emails per week)
- Manage the website in collaboration with communications team
- Compose, schedule, and post approved social media content in consultation with Communications Director
- Take, edit, and organize photos
- Assist with videography and light video editing as needed
- Participate with the full staff and board in grassroots fundraising
- Commitment to the democratic process, and to environmental stewardship and conservation.
- Ability to get along well with people from diverse backgrounds and with a wide range of personalities.
- Positive attitude and flexible disposition (as a grassroots organization, we often wear many hats at Northern Plains!)
- Able to make constructive edits to written and designed projects, comfortable with being edited
- Strong speaking and writing skills
- Ability to travel and be away overnight (apprx. 5-7 times/yr for this position)
- Graphic design with Adobe Creative Cloud (extensive InDesign and Photoshop experience required, Illustrator skills preferred)
- Experience with website management/maintenance (WordPress a plus)
- Experience with email marketing/outreach software (Campaign Monitor a plus)
- Experience crafting and monitoring social media posts for company/organization
- Experience with light video editing preferred (esp. Adobe Premier Pro)
- Experience working for social change, environmental issues, or a political campaign preferred
- Familiarity with conservation and agriculture issues, and experience with fundraising preferred
This is a job where you will have strong influence about what, when, where, and how things are done. The ideas, experience, and creativity of ALL staff are valued, cultivated, and integral to how we fulfill our mission.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Our compensation philosophy and transparent salary structure flows from our belief that our people are the most important part of our organization. We offer thriving wages, ample benefits, and opportunities for growth and development.
The salary for this position is $40,000 to $45,000 depending on experience. We also offer options for fully and partially employer-paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation plus 13 paid holidays (including the week from Christmas Eve through New Year), 12 days paid sick and personal leave, and 8 weeks of paid parental leave with the option to extend utilizing other leave types. In addition, we offer, a retirement plan, an employer paid cell phone plan, and a sabbatical program. This is a permanent, salaried, and exempt position.
This position is open until filled, but we encourage applications as soon as possible.
Email the following to email@example.com :
- Cover letter (tell us why you want the job)
- Short writing sample
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Call (406) 248-1154 with any questions, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Admin & Leadership, General / Stewardship