HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Wildlife Care Specialist will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission of saving species worldwide by overseeing all aspects of the safe care and handling of an assigned wildlife collection. This position reports to the Lead or Supervisor.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Prepares food and water for habitat wildlife
- Loads and unloads food from trucks
- Feeds exhibit wildlife
- Administers prescribed medication and keeps feeding records
- Observes assigned wildlife
- Reports abnormal conditions to superiors
- Cleans exhibit areas, pools, wildlife sleeping areas and service areas
- Cleans and disinfects utensils, work tools and containers
- Provides species-appropriate enrichment to assigned wildlife
- Maintains appropriate health and behavior records on assigned wildlife
- Responds to questions from the public concerning exhibits
- Provides exhibit security
- Participates in capturing, incapacitating and moving wildlife
- Participates in and supports wildlife training programs
- Assists medical staff in treating wildlife
- Performs minor or routine maintenance on exhibit enclosures
- Reports maintenance needs
- Operates a variety of light and medium equipment
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The position may require overnight shifts depending on department needs.
One to two years of work experience in a Zoo or similar environment where appropriate knowledge and skills in wildlife care could be acquired.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology, Life Science, or other related field preferred.
- Current valid California Driver's License in good standing.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Wildlife behavior
- Wildlife biology and zoology
- Care, feeding and handling of wild wildlife
- Safety practices around wild wildlife
- Techniques for restraining or capturing wild wildlife
- Public Speaking
- Deal tactfully and courteously with others
- Adhere to the organization’s policies, procedures and regulations
- Competently perform the essential functions outlined above
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Escondido, CA
- Position Type: Hourly Part-Time Non-Exempt Union Six Month Temporary Position - If selected, there will be fees and dues to be paid to the union
- Hourly Rate: $24.29
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.