|Salary Details||The starting compensation range for this position is $36,100-$40,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location.|
|Deadline||Dec 01, 2023|
Conservation and Zero Waste Advocate
Environment Colorado works to tackle the most profound challenge of our time: a way of living that is destroying the natural world. We are seeking a Conservation and Zero Waste Advocate to promote our efforts to eliminate single-use plastics, increase energy efficiency and protect open spaces across Colorado.
As our Conservation and Zero Waste Advocate, you’ll work with our State Director and the national conservation program team at Environment America to:
- Implement a landmark producer responsibility policy that will expand recycling and reduce single-use plastics
- Work with local governments to expand zero waste policies and adopt new policies to protect pollinators and pollinator habitats
- Win protections for pollinators and for open spaces including adding new state and national parks and protected lands
- Win new state laws and regulations that increase energy efficiency in buildings
- Expand our conservation community events including our monthly river clean ups and pollinator seed spreading events
Lead Environment Colorado’s state program and advance our strategy including campaign development, coalition building, media outreach, advocacy, fundraising and staff recruitment. We work at the Colorado State Capitol, key agencies including the Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment, corporate boardrooms and city halls.This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Develop strong and collaborative relationships with state agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators and legislative staff on both sides of the aisle, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals.
- Meet with other groups who are concerned about this issue. Work together in order to maximize our impact.
- Generate media attention and manage our social media accounts to build support for our campaigns.
- Seek out and identify policy opportunities related to our issue portfolio including researching the issue, identifying viable policy solutions, and proposing smart political strategy and messaging.
- Work with your team to develop materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, campaign action emails, fact sheets and policy briefs.
- Fundraise from charitable foundations and individual donors to support our program
- Build a team including recruiting and overseeing volunteers, interns and potential to oversee staff.
If these qualifications and qualities sound like you, we hope you’ll apply:
- A campaign advocate, campaign staffer or grassroots organizer with at least 3 years of experience working with a group on shared goals
- An effective communicator with excellent writing and verbal skills.
- Creative and effective at solving complex problems, a strategic thinker who can take advantage of new opportunities
- A people person and good listener with a track record of successful access-building
- Well-organized and able to work on multiple legislative and administrative proposals at once
- Passionate about the environment and using the power of grassroots organizing to win campaigns
- Experience in a legislative office within Congress, a state legislature, or with an environmental or public health advocacy organization is a plus but not required
- Fundraising experience, particularly in grant-seeking from charitable foundations is a plus but not required
About Environment Colorado
Environment Colorado is a policy and action group with thousands of supporters across the state. Our mission is to protect clean air, clean water and open space. Over the last 50 years we have won campaigns to dramatically expand the use of solar and other clean energy and get cleaner cars and buses on the road. We worked to pass a comprehensive ban on single-use plastic bags and polystyrene containers in the state, and strengthened protections for our rivers and streams.
Compensation and Benefits
The starting compensation range for this position is $36,100-$40,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. Candidates on the lower end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. Environment Colorado offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, paid time off, our commuter benefit program, a 401(k) plan with employer match, parental leave, long term disability insurance, and may include needs-based student loan assistance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Location: Denver, CO
Our Mission and Values
Why work with Environment Colorado? Check out 10 reasons on our website.
Environment Colorado is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our website for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment Colorado is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Apply online on our website.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Policy And Law|