Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. We are looking for a full-time Consulting or Senior Biologist/Ecologist - Project Manager in Bloomington, Indiana. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers
WEST's Bloomington office is located in the heart of downtown and currently has a team of 12 full time office based staff and five remote regionally based staff members. The Bloomington team is composed of professionals including biologist/ecologists, restoration ecologists, bat biologists, detection dog handlers, Geographic Information System (GIS) technicians, and data management personnel. The office works on a range of projects, primarily in the wind and solar industries. The office hosts regular events such as pitch-in lunches and happy hours and the team works to participate in local conservation efforts including bat house builds and regional bioblitzes. Additionally, the office is frequently visited by regional Service Directors, Senior Managers, Executive Team, and other WEST biologists and statisticians.
Bloomington is a mid-sized town of approximately 85,000 people and home to Indiana University. Bloomington offers an abundance of things to do, from live music and festivals to museums and weekly farmers markets. Bloomington has a wide array of restaurants, ranging from comfort food to international cuisine, and is home to a number of breweries, a winery, and a distillery. Bloomington is also in close proximity to open space, including the Hoosier National Forest, as well as several state forests and state parks with opportunities for numerous recreational activities including hiking, caving, hunting, canoeing, and cycling.
WEST’s Consulting or Senior Biologist/Ecologist - Project Managers work individually, as well as with a team of natural resource specialists, scientists, and biometricians. Ideal candidates will have experience and expertise in environmental consulting, wildlife study design, managing projects and people (e.g. field staff and office staff), collaborative, team-oriented work experience, and business development. Candidates will be responsible for managing projects related to wildlife surveys for various industries, including renewable energy, transmission lines, pipelines, transportation, oil and gas, Department of Defense, and other industries or service areas where appropriate. The candidate will have an initial focus on the Midwestern US with collaborative opportunities with colleagues nationwide and potentially internationally.
- Administration of projects
- Oversee and prepare reports, proposals/budgets, schedules, and provide quality assurance of data
- Lead and organize projects including:
- Site characterization studies, pre-construction surveys, post-construction mortality monitoring; renewable energy projects; linear projects and other variable development projects; wildlife field design and setup field studies
- Manage project teams, deliverables and budgets for multiple projects
- Train and manage field coordinators and technicians
- Supervise, mentor, and direct field studies and staff
- Promote health and safety
- Market WEST’s capabilities
- Foster current business relationships and promote new business development efforts.
- Occasional travel and overnight stays may be required for field site visits, agency meetings, conferences, or inter-office meetings.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, or equivalent.
- As well as previous professional experience in environmental consulting the following are desired:
- Avian and/or bat ecology are the target areas of technical expertise sought, but experience in wetland delineation, plant identification, or other areas of wildlife biology/ecology potentially of interest to commercial clients will also be considered
- Experience with interpretation of statistical analysis
- Previous project management experience (5+ years for Consulting Biologist or 10+ years for Senior Biologist), including budgeting and proposal writing experience, consulting work, and professional scientific experience.
- Track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients, or stakeholders.
- Strong, competent writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies.
- Wildlife biology technical knowledge and knowledge of regional wildlife
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Ecology, General / Stewardship, Wildlife|
|Tags||Environmental Consulting, Wetland|