|Salary Details||$65K, DOE|
|Deadline||Dec 01, 2023|
|Required Experience||2 - 6 years|
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. We are looking for a Full-time Consulting Ecologist focusing on ecosystem services and vegetation management. All WEST ecologists are supported by a team of technical and non-technical staff, which sets new team members up for success. Beyond science, we encourage and support participation in conservation actions at the local and national level and have developed a company-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) program. We are seeking a qualified Consulting Ecologist to help WEST grow our ecosystem services, biodiversity, and vegetation management team.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
The minimum base salary for this position is $65,000, plus annual bonus. Salary may vary based on education, knowledge, and experience.
Location is flexible, although a location in the southeastern region of the United States, is preferred (see https://west-inc.com/about-us/locations/).
The position will require regular overnight travel.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience and expertise in environmental consulting with a focus on biodiversity initiatives, restoration/revegetation planning and monitoring for energy industry clients. Additionally, the successful candidate will have established field-based ecological and botanical skills, strong knowledge of seeding and adaptive vegetation management methods, and experience conducting educational workshops on vegetation restoration. Candidates will be responsible for supporting our restoration and ecosystem services program for energy (primarily solar) projects and public lands projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Project Management: Plan and conduct/lead ecological restoration-related fieldwork, including baseline and post-construction site assessments, natural vegetation community mapping and characterizations, revegetation and mitigation monitoring, and botanical surveys.
- Work directly with WEST clients and agency personnel in the energy industry (primarily solar) to identify and develop practical and ecologically minded site restoration specifications, seed mixes, biodiversity enhancements, monitoring protocols, and vegetation management plans for use during a project’s planning, construction, and operations phases.
- Collect plot-based long-term vegetation data for analysis and reporting.
- Conduct site evaluations and provide results and recommendations for vegetation management to clients.
- Complete audits/inspections, troubleshooting, and reports of site preparation and seeding success criteria during construction and post-construction.
- Potentially assist with wetland delineations and wildlife surveys (based on an applicant’s qualifications).
- Help maintain WEST’s position as thought leaders in the energy-environmental consulting market.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
Qualifications and Preferred Skills/Abilities
The successful candidate joining WEST as a full-time regular Consulting Restoration Ecologist will be a self-motivated individual who is able to pay close attention to detail and possess:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in botany, restoration ecology, natural resources, environmental science, biological science, ecology, or equivalent and related field experience equivalent to a certified ecological restoration practitioner in training (CERPIT; Society for Ecological Restoration [see https://www.ser.org/page/CERPITApplications]).
- Previous consulting experience (5+ years), practicing applied restoration ecology, including conducting botanical-related surveys such as vegetation sampling and/or monitoring, plant community association/mapping, or rare plant surveys.
- Experience working in the solar industry with an emphasis on solar vegetation management planning is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of pollinators and ecosystem services is preferred.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report scientific methods and results of field studies.
- GIS experience is preferred but not required.
- Track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients and project stakeholders.
- Strong time management, project management, and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines.
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive feedback from colleagues and supervisors.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and applying science to practice.
- Ability to effectively supervise others.
- Demonstrated regular and reliable work attendance.
- Ability to maintain flexible work hours and adhere to company policies.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Tags||GIS, Environmental Consulting|