Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Overview: This position is in the Yuma Regional Office of the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) and will be a direct employee of Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever (PFQF). The position will serve as the Landowner Relations Program Regional Specialist for AZGFD, which provides broad-based conservation program funding to landowners focusing on securing public recreational access and wildlife habitat improvement projects. Additionally, this position will work with local PFQF chapters to provide assistance with project needs in southwestern Arizona. All work will be consistent with and directed to achieve conservation goals of all cooperating partners’ programs.
- Plans, organizes, monitors, and implements activity and projects that improve habitat or secure recreational access for hunters in association with AZGFD’s statewide Landowner Relations Programs (LRP) and coordinating with the Phoenix Headquarters and Yuma Regional Office of AZGFD.
- Works with landowners, farmers, and ranchers to foster strong relationships, and incorporate wildlife concerns into the planning and implementation of ranch operations.
- Works collaboratively with local NRCS field offices to provide wildlife expertise for staff and landowners working with NRCS.
- Negotiates projects and agreements with private landowners to enhance and conserve sensitive wildlife habitat and wildlife on private and public lands.
- Works closely with private landowners and land management agencies to resolve issues, concerns and problems with wildlife habitat or recreational access.
- Executes and implements an array of agreements with private landowners and land management agencies associated with the AZGFD’s LRP.
- Serve as a point of contact for the Yuma Dove hunting access program and partner group
- Provides staff support in developing required documentation for project compliance).
- Conducts wildlife and wildlife habitat surveys of public and private lands to determine opportunities for wildlife habitat improvements or mitigating recreational access issues.
- Uses technical equipment such as GPS, computers, etc.
- Presents programs to landowners, technical meetings, and public information opportunities.
- Assist with hunter recruitment/retention events
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Acts as a liaison for the Department with the Agriculture Community, Sportsmen groups, and non-profit entities engaged in habitat restoration or securing recreational access.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic, credible, self-starter who has knowledge of Arizona wildlife species and their habitat requirements and knowledge of common agricultural practices. The ideal candidate will also have the ability to effectively coordinate, cooperate, and communicate with private landowners and agencies as a representative of AGFD and PFQF, advocating for conservation and enhancement of wildlife habitat and wildlife populations. Knowledge of computer programs such as Word, Outlook, Excel, G Suite and GIS (ARCGIS) is desirable.
Training and Experience Guideline:
Degree or relevant experience in wildlife science or closely related field including range and ag science or experience in the agricultural industry and practices with extensive familiarity with the Yuma area and producers and genuine enthusiasm for conservation and agriculture may substitute for wildlife specific advanced degrees and professional wildlife management experience.
Salary: $45,000 + benefits (see benefits summary on our website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs )
To Apply: ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into a single Word document or PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” area of your application on the Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs . If you have questions, contact Scott Poppenberger, Arizona State Coordinator, Arizona at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pheasants Forever, Inc and Quail Forever is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||General / Stewardship, Outdoor Recreation, Wildlife|