|Salary Details||Estimated at $115,000; based on experience|
|Deadline||Dec 18, 2023|
Title: Director of Migratory Bird Habitats in Latin America & Caribbean
Reports to: Vice President of Threatened Species
Salary: Estimated at $115,000; based on experience
The mission of American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is to conserve birds and their habitats – the places birds need to thrive – across the Americas. We are a growing group of 125+ dedicated staff, located across the United States and with a network of partners from Canada to Chile. Each year, we grow in budget and staff, and we deliver more results aimed at preventing bird species extinctions and reversing declines that are reducing populations of nearly all bird groups. Our work is guided by our principles, which include a commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI).
ABC seeks an entrepreneurial person with experience developing and managing bird conservation programs to lead ABC’s work on migratory birds in Latin America & Caribbean region. This work is now centered around three main pillars we call BirdsPlus, focused on promoting and implementing Best Management Practices on working lands to enhance bird habitat, a BirdsPlus Fund to finance investment projects, and BirdsPlus Index to measure results using birds as indicators of conservation value. This position is responsible for leading and coordinating ABC’s strategy and project portfolio focused on securing and enhancing habitat for migratory birds at wintering and stopover sites in Latin America and the Caribbean. This person is a member of the ABC Management Team and participates in monthly Management Team meetings and will be responsible for managing two direct reports.
Program & Partnership Leadership:
- This position will lead the team’s work by organizing and coordinating the team to implement projects, including identification and management of wintering migratory bird BirdScapes.
- This position will also coordinate with ABC’s regional programs in the USA and Canada, such that wintering ground work complements breeding ground activities to deliver full life-cycle conservation for migratory populations; and coordinate with members of ABC’s International Division on projects benefiting or focused on migratory birds occurring outside of the US.
- Represent ABC’s migratory bird interests among other alliances and strategic relations that benefit migratory birds through active participation in meetings, working groups or committees. One possible area for our program to grow will be to explore different conservation financing strategies and investigate how we might influence existing sources of finance (such as regional development banks and ministries) for agricultural practices in Latin America and the Caribbean to encourage Best Management Practices and other actions that help birds.
- Liaise between ABC’s Communications division to develop media content around relatable science, new discoveries, and ABC projects as related to our work on migratory birds in Latin America & Caribbean.
Annual & Financial Planning:
- Set goals and objectives for the Migratory Bird – LAC program in the ABC Annual Plan and translating these into more detailed workplans for team members, as well as into annual budgets.
- Track budgets and spending of available funds.
- Create stretch budgets and prioritize unfunded activities.
Fundraising: Work with Development to cultivate donors (individuals, foundations, government agencies), cultivate impact investor opportunities, identify potential donors and grant opportunities for unfunded activities, and apply for funding to maintain and expand the program’s activities.
- Advanced degree in conservation finance, sustainable agriculture, business, or a related field with knowledge of conservation and management needs of migratory birds in the Americas.
- At least five years of experience in bird conservation work in Latin American or Caribbean, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Well organized with keen attention to detail and results-oriented. Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, have the tenacity and creativity to solve difficult problems, and bring an entrepreneurial spirit to pursue new conservation opportunities.
- Experience working with development banks and national, regional, and local governments preferred.
- An outgoing, positive, persuasive manner and predisposition for innovation and collaboration, but with ability to work both independently and as part of teams, as well as with international partners.
- Proven ability to work with partners in a way that displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Willing and able to travel. Travel could involve 4-5 trips per year, each last 7-14 days.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English and Spanish, including experience organizing and disseminating evaluation findings to donors and other stakeholders. Working knowledge of other languages such as Brazilian Portuguese is a plus.
- Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, and employer-matched retirement savings, flexible schedule, etc.
- Paid vacation days (starting at 15 days annually and increasing to 20 days after 1 year of employment), paid holidays (including both US holidays and additional ABC holidays) and sick leave.
- Lodging, meals, and transportation covered for work-related travel away from home.
- Rental vehicle or personal mileage reimbursement where applicable.
Please apply on Paylocity.
If you have difficulties, please email your cover letter and resume to HR@abcbirds.org.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer; ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, General / Stewardship, Wildlife|