Entomology/Marine Invertebrates Apprentice
San Diego Natural History Museum
San Diego, California
|Job Type||Paid Internship|
STEM APPRENTICESHIPS: The San Diego Natural History Museum science research apprenticeship program provides training and mentoring in curation, imaging, databasing protocols, and collections-based research to students, to prepare them for continued advancement in biological sciences, which can translate to career pathways in academia and research, as well as biological consulting.
COLLECTION PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The apprentice will learn the steps from acquiring specimens through incorporating them into the collection. Apprentices will learn how to collect, identify, prepare, accession, database, image, and file scientific specimens into the collection. Skills in pest management, taxonomic curation, and collection best practices will also be gained. Apprentices will receive daily instruction, guidance, and follow-up for all tasks assigned.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
Primary responsibilities include:
- Collection management;
- Cataloguing and specimen data entry;
- Specimen digitization;
Responsibilities may also include:
- Overseeing volunteers;
- Field work.
- Apprentice must create a report / presentation on their work at the end of the apprenticeship. This will likely be data-focused, so an interest in data and data visualization is preferable.
- Interest in natural history, museum studies, arthropods, entomology, marine invertebrates, archives, and collections-based research
- Strong communication skills with attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Technology skills
- Applicants must reside in San Diego County;
- A special emphasis is placed on recruiting students 18 or over residing in or attending high school or college in San Diego County who are members of groups underrepresented in STEM careers.
In compliance with the San Diego Natural History Museum’s mandatory vaccination policy, the Museum requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accommodations based on medical and religious exemptions will be considered.
HOURS: Up to 275 hours total. Flexible schedule.
COMPENSATION: Paid, hourly, $16.30/hr.
Employees enjoy free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park.
WORK TO BE DONE: On-Site. Some remote fieldwork may be possible.
Please submit a CV or resume with three references and a Cover Letter. All materials should go to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Marine Biology, Ecology|