Environmental Education and Outreach Intern
J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge
Fort Myers, Florida
|Job Type||Paid Internship|
|Salary Details||Interns receive a living stipend of $300 a week and a one-time $150 travel allowance.|
|Deadline||Jun 12, 2023|
J. N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge is looking for an energetic bilingual (Spanish and English-speaking) intern to help facilitate the operation of the Wildlife on Wheels (WOW) mobile classroom. This position is a 9 month- 1-year position (September-May 2024). The intern will assist the much-needed change in how the Refuge reaches out and communicates with our local and urban audiences. The goal is to provide quality visitor experiences delivered to everyone in our local community. We are creating a new outreach change; changing how we do our work, who we reach, and how people experience the J.N. “Ding” Darling Wildlife Refuge Complex. We need a dynamic individual who is fluent in Spanish and English with knowledge and understanding of the Hispanic community.
Specific intern responsibilities will include:
- Help coordinate the WOW mobile classroom to conduct wildlife education outreach.
- Help promote sustainability and conservation for our various South Florida ecosystems in urban locations.
- Plan and implement interpretive and environmental education programs that reach a wide range of audiences, utilizing a variety of methods and materials.
- Work with others in developing educational outreach materials and programs that relate to the WOW mobile classroom.
- Maintaining the operations, cleanliness and appearance of the WOW Mobile classroom as needed.
- Create opportunities to engage our Hispanic neighbors and connect them to the Refuge by implementing bilingual nature hikes.
- Create and enhance Spanish trail brochures.
- Create and utilize a Hispanic outreach list.
- Host family friendly events promoted in Spanish.
- Help the Refuge and education team develop our Hispanic Engagement Plan.
- Additional duties may include assisting the Refuge administration and "Ding" Darling Wildlife Society-Friends of the Refuge with events.
- Bilingual-Fluent in Spanish and English
- A bachelor's degree in education, biology, environmental education or a similar
- Valid driver's license and means of
- Able to work in hot and humid outdoor settings for periods of time.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience/enjoy working with children of all ages in an educational
- Self-driven/motivated and creative individual with a positive attitude and willingness to work with and help others.
- Should be proficient and skilled in Microsoft Office
- Interpersonal skills and a strong passion for wildlife and the environment are
Please send a resume to Melissa Maher at the following email address:
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Environmental Education|