The Maria Mitchell Association is excited to offer the Environmental Education Internship for the Summer of 2023.
We are seeking high-energy, motivated individuals to design and lead lessons for our Discovery Camp and Naturalist Leadership Programs. Campers range from ages 5–16 and each day is a different exploration of coastal and terrestrial habitats on Nantucket Island. Join this team of leaders that inspire a love of science through hands-on exploration of the land, sea, and sky! To learn more about the sessions we offer, please explore the Discovery Camp Programs pages, and check out internship details at Education Internship | Maria Mitchell Association.
Apply TODAY and join the Education Team for a summer you will always remember!
Education Internship- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with a co-instructor and Education Director team to plan and write unique lessons for campers ages 5 – 16.
- Design and create the needed educational props/supplies to go along with your lessons.
- Lead campers in nature hikes, wetland observations, bird watching, orienteering, community service projects, art projects, insect collecting, kayaking excursions, snorkeling exploration, and much more.
- Maintain all educational supplies and equipment by washing and putting away after use.
- Attend all required meetings including end of the summer cleaning.
- Help in the office to prepare for the next week.
- Additional responsibilities may include helping in the main office, leading public or private programs such as birthday parties or snorkeling excursions, and assisting with other facets of the Association’s day-to-day operations.
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 19 years old
- Excited to share their passion for science and nature through youth programming
- Confident in leading groups safely through the outdoors, including beach and water environments.
- Comfortable working independently, initiating activities, coordinating with co-instructors, and maintaining a positive attitude in challenging situations.
- Certified in CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding or are willing to become certified prior to camp (we are able to reimburse a portion of the certification cost)
- Flexible, passionate, can- do attitudes, and able to live and work well with others.
Preference will be given to applicants that:
- Are at least 21 years of age
- Have completed or are currently enrolled in environmental education, natural sciences, or education courses
- Have naturalist skills and/or experience as an environmental educator
- Have experience working with children of multiple ages
- Willing to learn and engage actively in a postive team environment
- Are able to commit for the entire summer: June 5 – August 28
- Have a current driver’s license, and have driven for 2+ years.
Interested in the position? Check out the Education Internship page on The Maria Mitchell Association website at Education Internship | Maria Mitchell Association. Click the Application Process then "Apply Here!" to submit your application.
Questions? Contact: Camden Palm, Director of Education, email@example.com
Phone: (508) 228-9198 ext.105
The Maria Mitchell Association is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Environmental Education, Outdoor Recreation|