The mission of the Tri-State Steelheaders is to restore sustainable populations of native salmonids by enhancing habitat, providing public education, and promoting recreational angling for future generations.
Our Salmon in School program is a unique, hands-on, STEM-based learning opportunity. Each classroom receives a 55-gallon aquarium and 100 salmon eggs, allowing students to observe and learn about the stages of the salmon life cycle. Eggs are delivered in the fall, and the young salmon are released into local streams in the spring. This program teaches students, staff, and the community that salmon are a critical part of our regional economy and culture.
The AmeriCorps Environmental Educator will assist our Education Coordinator in providing Salmon in School at about 29 locations for the 2023-2024 school year.
Duties will include:
- Present classroom lessons at each location monthly
- Develop new age-appropriate lessons
- Manage in-classroom fish tanks and equipment
- Monitor water quality and fish health through coordination with teachers
- Assist with gathering and assembling classroom supplies for lessons
- Contribute to social media on Facebook and Instagram
- Develop a student knowledge pre- and post-assessments
- Provide community education programs with partner organizations
- Staff outreach programs and events
- Assist with grant writing
- May assist with habitat restoration projects, as time allows
A reliable vehicle and a current driver’s license is necessary for travel to work sites. Mileage is reimbursed at the federal rate (currently $0.655/mi)
Members may receive other benefits from AmeriCorps (check with WSC for details):
- Subsidized childcare provided by GAP Solutions Inc. (if qualified)
- Health Insurance (member only and only if no other health insurance coverage)
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans)
- Education Award (upon successful completion of service)
View the job posting on my.americorps.gov (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=113857)
Click on the Apply Now button at the bottom of the position description page.
Complete the application at my.americorps.gov
Your application must be received through my.americorps.gov
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.