|Salary Details||$39,000 – 45,000 + benefits (see our benefits summary at www.quailforever.org/jobs)|
|Deadline||Oct 06, 2023|
Overview & Job Duties: Pheasants Forever Inc. & Quail Forever (PFQF) is seeking an experienced biologist to assist in delivering conservation programs and projects within the state of Missouri. The selected candidate will work as a member of the USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Wetland Emphasis Team and Farm Bill Biologist Team providing wetland restoration assistance across 20 or more counties. The selected candidate will receive daily guidance from the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) Wetland Services Biologist and be involved with all aspects of delivering wetland-related farm bill programs. This will include enrollment and acquisition, design, protection, enhancement, management, and restoration of wetlands and associated upland habitats important to migrating waterfowl, upland wildlife, and other associated species. This position will be located within an NRCS field office and will provide conservation technical assistance and conservation program delivery to private landowners throughout their WET area. The incumbent will work in a joint capacity with NRCS, MDC, and other State and Federal partners to promote, facilitate enrollment, and coordinate the implementation of the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP) and other wildlife-related conservation programs. Activities will include program application assistance, program coordination, contract coordination, conservation planning, developing compatible use agreements, easement monitoring, site assessment and reporting. Incumbents will provide technical biological assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. The position will work with local chapters of PFQF and other local partners to increase habitat management efforts and participate in regional and statewide habitat meetings. Assist or coordinate activities and projects with other PFQF, MDC and NRCS staff. These positions will be employees of, and supervised by Pheasants Forever, Inc. & Quail Forever, with daily instruction and leadership provided by PFQF, MDC, and NRCS.
Desired Knowledge. Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, prescribed fire, grassland, wetland, and early succession habitat management
- Experience with wetland management and restoration techniques
- Experience with wetland restoration design is highly desirable
- Working knowledge of wetland systems, including identification skills of wetland-associated flora and fauna
- Specific knowledge in writing and delivering wetland habitat management conservation plans
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and ArcGIS software
- Knowledge of the USDA Wetland Reserve Easement and other conservation assistance programs
- Ability to convey the use of various management tools in the development of habitat management plans
- Knowledge of conservation and wildlife habitat programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired
- Knowledge of or practical experience with agricultural systems, farming and ranching
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners, partner agencies and colleagues
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability as a leader with a high degree of self-motivation
- Proficient with ArcGIS and/or other spatial mapping programs
- Ability to resolve difficult situations
- Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle may be required (mileage reimbursement provided)
- Occasional overnight travel required
- Must be able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance
Education and Experience Preferred: A minimum requirement for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and three years of relevant experience. Wildlife Society Certification and graduate work will also be considered. At least 3 years of
experience with the management of wetland systems is highly preferred. Proven experience working with USDA Farm Bill programs (i.e. EQIP, CSP, ACEP, CRP) is preferred.
To Apply: Please combine your cover letter, resume and three (3) references as a single Microsoft Word document or PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” area of your application on our recruitment website at www.quailforever.org/jobs.
Contact: Andrew White, Missouri State Coordinator, email@example.com or (660) 619-1719.
Pheasants Forever, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Ecology, General / Stewardship, Restoration, Wildlife|