Farmers Market Recovery Coordinator - Ventura County
Food Forward, Inc
North Hollywood, California
Organization: Food Forward, Inc. - a 501c3 non-profit
Position: Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator
Hours: Full-Time, non-exempt hybrid
Location: Ventura, CA
Compensation: $24.04 hr
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Organizational Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people experiencing food insecurity and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are collected in Los Angeles and Ventura counties from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, and the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market. This recovered produce is provided, free of charge, to hunger relief organizations that serve community members in various ways: food banks, homeless outreach agencies, domestic violence shelters, transitional youth homes, veteran services, family resource centers, LGBTQ+ teen/adult/senior services, college student assistance programs, programs serving people with disabilities, and many more. Since Food Forward’s inception, our staff and thousands of dedicated volunteers have rescued 100’s of million pounds of fruits and vegetables. This produce helped to feed millions of people across eleven Southern California counties, throughout seven states, as well as in tribal lands in the Southwest annually. See our core values posted below.
Position Overview:The Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator will directly report to the Senior Manager of Community Programs. This person will play an important role in supporting and expanding the Farmers Market Recovery (FMR) Program. This is an entry-level position and provides an opportunity to become deeply involved in the food justice community, while working to grow the program’s presence in Los Angeles & Ventura Counties. The Program Coordinator is the bridge between Food Forward’s wonderful volunteers, farmers market vendors, receiving agencies, and organizational needs.. This position will work closely with our Community Programs staff, supporting them as needed, and will be primarily based out of Food Forward’s office in Ventura, with occasional work out of our office in North Hollywood. The ideal candidate is passionate about improving food systems and eradicating hunger, and is able to work both independently and collaboratively, in-person and remotely. The person in this role will have access to a Food Forward vehicle for work-related tasks but occasional personal vehicle usage will be required. Applicable mileage will be eligible for reimbursement at standard IRS rates.
Event Coordination & Volunteer Engagement:
- Coordinate all aspects of gleaning events:
- Conduct timely and effective communication with a variety of stakeholders (event leaders, farmers market vendors and managers, hunger relief agencies, potential partners, etc.) to schedule events, resolve issues, and achieve program objectives.
- Coordinate receiving agencies for pick-up and drop-offs of gleaned produce.
- Procure, secure, maintain and stock storage locations for market gleaning equipment.
- Collect, review and maintain program metrics, data and event reports via Excel, Google Workspace, Tableau & CITRA (Food Forward’s proprietary database).
- Lead FMR events as needed.
- Recruit, train, schedule, and build working relationships with FMR volunteer event leaders.
- Review and maintain monthly event data via Food Forward’s data software CITRA.
- Assist with updating and developing new training materials for event leaders and create and update FMR staff workflows and manuals.
- Assist with creation and organization of program related information within Google Workspace.
- Play a key role in supervising program assistants and interns.
Communication and Community Outreach:
- Serve as the point of contact and maintain relationships with community partners
- Help establish new partnerships and represent the FMR program at various meetings and conferences.
- Draft content for program related and org wide newsletters, social media, and other external communication.
- Represent Food Forward at community events, council meetings, universities, etc.
- Ability to communicate with Spanish speaking partners is a plus, but not required.
- Ad Hoc duties as assigned
- General willingness to work a flexible schedule, including early, evening and weekend hours on occasion.
- Computer literate and proficiency in Microsoft Excel & Google Workspace.
- Maintain Valid Class C Driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Ability to lift and carry boxes of produce weighing up to 40-50 lbs repeatedly from ground to vehicles and over unstable ground.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, bend, lift, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as needed.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors.
- Willingness to operate Food Forward vehicles (training provided).
- Medical, Dental Vision, and Life Insurance coverage, Simple IRA with 3% employer matching. Generous Sick Days, Personal, Vacation, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone and WIFI allowance
Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.
- COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT Working together, we inspire and are inspired by the people in the communities we serve.
- EQUITY AND INCLUSION We cultivate a diverse workforce that nurtures equity and inclusion.
- FOOD JUSTICE We share the abundance of fresh produce and prevent food waste because everyone deserves access to fresh and nutritious food.
- INTEGRITY We are honest, accountable and authentic in our words and actions.
- JOYFULNESS We embrace a creative, spirited and fulfilling environment.
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to email@example.com . The subject line should read, Farmers Market Recovery- (Your Name). In the body of the cover letter include 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a variety of produce what would you be and why?
No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Sustainability|
|Tags||Outreach, Sustainable Agriculture|