U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Quinault National Fish Hatchery
Length:Term of positions is 26 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk
AmeriCorps Award:Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $3,247 (pre-tax).
Application Due Date:ASAP
Title of Position:Fish and Aquatic Field Science Intern
Stewards Individual Placements (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. Stewards in partnership with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Quinault National Fish Hatchery are seeking an intern who will support fish hatchery operations. This intern will gain a wealth of diversified and career building fish hatchery experience as well as supplemental fieldwork experience. This position also includes career development training to better prepare the intern to find and better compete for relevant employment opportunities beyond this experience.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Fish Culture: Fish feeding, raceway (concrete tank) cleaning and maintenance, water quality monitoring and data logging, water flow measurement and adjustment, fish health monitoring, fish size sampling and transfers, fish spawning, and egg and larval stage care/monitoring.
- Hatchery upkeep and maintenance (will require use of power tools).
- Biological field sampling in aquatic environments, including but not limited to minnow trapping, electrofishing, seining, river gill and tangle netting in lakes and rivers, hook & line sampling(angling), and screw trapping.
- Fish identification and data collection (species length, weight, scale samples, tag scans, etc.).
- Fish marking, tagging, and tracking (coded wire tags, PIT tags, floy tags, and radio telemetry tagging and tracking).
- Registered Tribal Member
- 18-34 years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
- Ability to lift at least 44 pounds
- Ability to hike at least 4 miles on uneven ground
- Ability to work long days and in inclement weather.
- Willing to undergo and pass a required criminal history check.
- A strong interest in a career in natural resource conservation science.
- Relevant college degree or course work is preferred but not required. Coursework could include biology, fisheries science, forestry, wildlife biology, oceanography, ecology, and environmental science.
- Experience working in and around water, including wading, swimming, boating (raft, canoe, kayak and/or motor boat operation).
- Living Allowance: $600/week (pre-tax)
- Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $We will fill this in for you (pre-tax).
- Student loan forbearance and health insurance (correct?)
- Federal non-competitive hiring status through the Public Lands Corps upon successfully completion of the program (only those ages 18-30 are eligible for this benefit).
- Career development training, including resume counseling, networking, how to look for and apply for related jobs, and how to prepare for interviews.
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one-page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
If you have questions about this position please contact Sierra Miller, Stewards Program Coordinator, at email@example.com
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.