Food Access and Agriculture Staffing Assistant
New York, New York
GrowNYC is a 53-year-old environmental nonprofit organization helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. GrowNYC Programs include:
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and the work of GrowNYC Wholesale ensure that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like food scrap and clothing collections to make waste reduction, recycling, and composting easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires are encouraged to take the COVID vaccine (as defined by the CDC) and we ask to submit proof to our HR department within 30 days of hire. Employees may be required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
Food Access and Agriculture Staffing Assistant - Full-time
Reporting directly to the Greenmarket Administrative Manager, the FAA Staffing Assistant is a point of communication and coordination between Greenmarket Supervisory Staff and Field Staff. The FAA Staffing Assistant must develop familiarity with all Greenmarket Site Leads, market locations, and shift responsibilities.
Recruitment of Seasonal Field Staff
- Assist with review of job descriptions Greenmarket Field Staff
- Review and screen resumes to identify top candidates
- Assist with scheduling interviews and communicating with applicants and Supervisory staff, as needed
- Conduct candidate interviews and collaborate with the Greenmarket Administrative Manager to determine their suitability for the position
- Collaborate closely with Greenmarket Administrative Manager and HR to finalize job offers and onboard new team members
Staff Management Support
- Create, maintain, and update various staffing documents, spreadsheets, and market coverage calendar as part of the day-to-day responsibilities.
- Help facilitate successful and complete onboarding of hourly Field Staff in partnership with HR and Greenmarket Supervisory Staff
- Point of contact for both the Supervisory Greenmarket staff and Field Staff, managing their inquiries, and offering valuable resources and support
- Co-lead a system for prompt and accurate communication with Field Staff and Regional Managers for required training, market schedules, and market coverage needs that arise due to time-off requests or callouts sometimes on very short notice. May require on-call capacity outside of regular work hours
- Support weekly staffing and planning meetings and be a supportive part of planning discussions for short-term and long-term staffing needs.
- Co-Manage weekly updates of Greenmarket field staff schedules with Greenmarket Administrative Manager
- Collaborate with GrowNYC Food Access programs to support staffing and scheduling at FAA field sites
- Review and approve timesheets in coordination with Greenmarket Supervisory staff and HR
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- Be on-call to fill in as a Greenmarket Site Lead at any GrowNYC Greenmarket market site, sometimes with very short notice.
- Establish and lead weekend on-call schedule coordination for FAA Assistant level positions.
- Assist with coordination of equipment drop-offs, van swaps, and other operations projects as needed.
- Assist with training new field staff, as needed.
- 1+ year of relevant work experience required
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once without missing deadlines
- Motivated self-starter who can identify problems and create systems to solve them.
- Resourceful, creative, energetic, and flexible to respond to diverse, strong personalities and daily questions that accompany operating open-air farmers markets in New York City.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize duties and multi-task to effectively support staff and maintain professional relationships with staff, farmers, and the public.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is critical
- Superior customer service skills including ability to articulate mission to diverse customer base and resolve complaints and misunderstandings kindly and firmly
- Excellent, precise written communication skills are essential to the position
- Google Workspace, MS Office and Adobe.
- Valid NYS driver’s license, and willingness to drive cargo van or small box truck throughout NYC.
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time when needed, ability to stay seated for long periods of time when needed and operate a vehicle.
This position requires flexibility in scheduling, including weekends and early mornings. Working days will vary based on market coverage needs, with an expected weekly workload of 35-40 hours from Tuesday through Sunday.
The position is a non-exempt, full-time, salaried position. It pays $50,000 - $53,000 per year and includes full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, Long Term disability, Incentive Savings plan, Loan Forgiveness Program, paid holidays, sick leave, PTO, commute, and FSA programs.)
This position is a hybrid role that allows for both remote work and work at the GrowNYC office and Greenmarkets. Expect to work at the office between 2-3 days per week. Additionally, all market coverage locations are outdoors. Greenmarket operates sites in all five boroughs of NYC.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
Qualified candidates for the FAA Staffing Assistant position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of employment applications received, GrowNYC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Apply here: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1716870/GrowNYC/Food-Access-and-Agriculture-Staffing-Assistant
P.O. Box 2327
New York, NY 10272
For additional information, please see our website: grownyc.org
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Sustainability|