Forest Products Specialist
- Job No: 525877
- Classification: Training & Development 5
- Grade: Grade 81
- Work type: On Campus, Staff Full-time
- Administrative Unit: University of Alaska Fairbanks
- School/Business unit: UAF Institute of Agr Nat Res & Ext
- Location: Anchorage, Fairbanks
- Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing, Education/Instructional
Do you have a background in forest product utilization? Do you enjoy sharing your knowledge with the general public and industry sectors? This professional staff position is established through a collaboration between the University of Alaska Fairbanks Cooperative Extension Service and the State of Alaska Division of Forestry and Fire Protection with legislative funding. The Alaska forest products industry is relatively small compared to adjacent British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. The direct impact forestry has in the state is about 1800 positions. However, in an effort for Alaska to be more self-sufficient in forest products, meet housing demands and diversify the Alaskan economy, there is a need for more forest production. The Alaska Division of Forestry and Fire Protection manages 3 state forests totaling approximately 2 million acres in addition to approximately 11 million acres of forest classified general state land. This position will develop an annual certified lumber grading program, lumber grading visual grading standards and a handbook to be used in the instruction for certification of sawmill owners. Teaching workshops, facilitating program development, reporting and seeking external funding opportunities to expand outreach will be key to the success of this position. Establishing partnerships internally & externally will be pivotal to address forest product utilization issues affecting the general public, businesses, and industry sectors.This position will act as the main point of contact for all inquiries from the general public and industry sectors related to wood science and technology.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrated expertise in a broad field of forest products, forestry industry operations, or forest resource utilization.
- Knowledge of forest product markets and processing to include lumber grading certification standards and forest operations processing and safety.
- Extensive knowledge of forest management principles and methodologies.
- Knowledge of program planning and evaluation principles.
- Knowledge and demonstrative ability of managing projects.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with diverse publics.
- Ability to effectively communicate and translate scientific and statistical information to diverse audiences in a practical and useful manner.
- Knowledge and ability to communicate in multiple formats in writing such as technical writing, grant applications and reporting, articles, and general correspondence.
- Knowledge of various computer software applications to do research, track progress for program execution, and administer day-to-day office operations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Zoom.
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel in-state to deliver programming.
- Grant proposal writing and grant management experience preferred.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to travel statewide and to remote areas to deliver educational outreach and programming.
Preferred Experience & Education:
Master's degree or higher in forestry or wood science and technology or equivalent AND a minimum of two years or more of work in forestry or a natural resources field combined. Currently certified or previous experience as a certified lumber grader under a program accredited by the American Lumber Standards Committee.
Required Experience & Education:
Bachelor's degree in forestry or wood science and technology or equivalent AND a minimum of three years or more of work in forestry or a natural resources field combined. Demonstrated experience with lumber manufacturing and sawmill practices.
Valid AK drivers license or the ability to obtain one.
This is a full-time, exempt staff position complete with both a competitive salary and https://www.alaska.edu/jobs/benefits.php package. New hires will be placed on the https://www.alaska.edu/hr/benefits/compensation/files/fy24_staff_salary_grid.pdf, Grade 81, based on education and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references with your application.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is identified. Review of application materials will begin immediately. Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient and viable number of qualified candidates have been identified
This position can be located in either Fairbanks or Anchorage.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
This position is a term-funded position and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, educational institution and provider and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Kenna Metivier, Signers' Business Office Assistant HR Manager, at email@example.com or 907-474-1847.
Applications Close: Open until filled
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/4775081
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.