|Salary Details||This is a full-time position with a total living allowance of $14,836 dispersed evenly throughout the 8-month term. This comes to approximately $1,855 monthly, before taxes, depending on length of contracted term.|
|Deadline||Dec 15, 2023|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
Share your passion for Interpretation and Education amongst giant granite monoliths in Almo, Idaho!
Interpretation & Education Specialist
City of Rocks National Reserve and Castle Rocks State Park
Service Description/Position Summary:
City of Rocks National Reserve and Castle Rocks State Park are seeking an applicant (for a 1200-hour AmeriCorps position) who loves the outdoors and is passionate about creating, implementing, and leading interpretive programs in person or virtually, as well as updating and creating interpretive materials for the parks.
At City of Rocks National Reserve and Castle Rocks State Park, our AmeriCorps member will receive education about parks system management as well as have opportunities for training and developing professional skills. The AmeriCorps member will work alongside the Visitor Services Ranger and Chief of Interpretation to enhance and strengthen interpretation and education in the park. The AmeriCorps member will also build relationships with community members and volunteers to accomplish goals for the interpretive plan.
Member Activities/Duties can include:
- Leading interpretive tours, nature walks, and hikes.
- Improving and creating educational displays for the visitor center and interpretive trails.
- Expanding service-learning opportunities for local students as well as planning and overseeing service days.
- Recruiting for and managing volunteer programs.
- Representing state parks at community events.
- Hosting community events at the parks.
- Completing other projects that align your specific to your skill and interests with park needs.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must possess high school diploma or equivalent or commit to earning one prior to receiving award.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Must be able to commit to the full term of service for which they are applying.
- Must successfully pass fingerprint background check provided through PCEI.
- Must complete/submit necessary AmeriCorps paperwork & reports in a timely manner.
- Must commit to and attend and complete all PCEI AmeriCorps training and service requirements including orientation, trainings, team meetings and national service days.
- Must wear AmeriCorps uniform and/or appropriate identifiers and required safety gear while performing service or attending official events.
- Must have a cooperative manner and the ability to serve as part of a diverse team.
- Must have regular and reliable attendance and dependability.
- AmeriCorps members can enroll in multiple terms of service that add up to the value of two full-time education awards. You can also serve additional terms but will not receive an additional education award.
Member Qualifications and Preferred Skills
- Experience working with children and young adults.
- Comfortable working in an office setting and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Interpretation experience and/or experience leading groups independently.
- Willingness to be an effective storyteller and to share information about projects you are involved with on social media.
Member Benefits Include
- A taxable, monthly living allowance of $14,836.00 paid over the 8 month term of service.
- Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members receive an education award in the amount of $4,826.50 that can be used to repay qualified student loans or for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational or trade schools. The education award is taxed in the year that it is used.
- Loan forbearance (after successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps will pay the accrued interest on qualified loans, which is taxable.)
- Childcare allowance for those who qualify.
- Professional development, trainings, and networking opportunities.
- Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals and conduct all activities in full accessible settings.
- Onsite VIP campground available with a shower, laundry, microwave, and refrigerator.
Project Location and/or Transportation Needs:
Use of personal vehicle is required for reliable travel to host site. Park vehicles are provided during working hours.
Dates of Service:
Full-time: 8 months, between January 2024 and August 2024 (specific dates are TBD)
For more information, contact email@example.com. To apply, please send your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Be sure to include your residential address at the time of application AND your permanent address also. Then go to www.my.americorps.gov and search listings in Idaho. You will be required to register for an account before you can apply to listings. Once you have registered an account, you can find the listing of your choice and apply to it.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Environmental Education, Outdoor Recreation|
|Tags||Conservation Corps, Trail Maintenance, Naturalist|