Tucson, Arizona, USA
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. We’re looking for someone who is passionate, motivated problem-solver. Come join TNC and apply today!
- Lead and help complete scientific investigations, including landscape modeling, remote sensing, and spatial analyses, to inform chapter, regional, and divisional conservation strategies and outcomes (75%)
- Conduct spatial and statistical modeling and remote sensing to help develop ecoregional to statewide assessment tools to evaluate renewable energy siting and future conservation priority areas.
- Work with TNC colleagues and partners to complete science investigations to assess emerging conservation threats and opportunities or apply emerging technologies to conservation science in novel, innovative ways.
- Complete science analyses and monitoring systems to evaluate outcomes and impacts of conservation strategies including estimating and tracking progress towards 2030 metrics.
- Recruit additional partners/scientists and utilize internal/external sources of funding to manage projects, work plans, contracts, budgets and collaborative teams as needed to complete investigations.
- Support Chapter conservation programs in spatial analysis, landscape ecology, and GIS (20%)
- Work with conservation staff and external partners to support conservation efforts with landscape ecology expertise.
- Along with the Spatial Scientist and GIS specialist, provide GIS support/training and assist with GIS data management. This could include providing GIS assets to staff through web maps and mobile GIS data.
- Work with conservation staff to conduct environmental review of compliance processes or technical reports related to landscape ecology.
- Other duties as assigned (5%)
- Timely and accurate completion of administrative functions such as timecards, expense reports and performance reviews.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Performs complex spatial analyses and models using remote sensing and GIS.
- Conducts and leads scientific investigations.
- Produces professional reports, publications, and mapping products.
- Supports program objectives by working in a complex matrix organization environment.
- May participate and/or lead a cross functional team.
- May lead staff, interns or volunteers on a project basis.
- May manage a grant, contract or request for proposal.
- Manages projects including completion of project descriptions, work plans, team roles and responsibilities, and timely meeting management and communications.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, in hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Travel throughout Arizona to the various preserves; occasional travel to other parts of Arizona and US for retreats, meetings, trainings, etc. which could include weekends and over-night.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Master's Degree in science related field and 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with ArcGIS Pro software and ArcGIS Online suite of tools
- Experience with modeling and scripting programs such as R, Python, etc.
- Experience synthesizing, interpreting and communicating scientific information
- Experience preparing reports of findings
- Record of peer reviewed publications in scientific journals
- Experience using applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and web browsers
- Valid driver’s license
- Multi-language skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Graduate degree in ecology, landscape ecology, geography, GIS information science or related field and 2-4 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated experience performing spatial analyses, modeling, and producing professional maps
- Working knowledge of current trends and best practices in conservation-related landscape ecology and data management
- Working knowledge of basic statistics used in scientific investigations
- Experience utilizing remote sensing products and analyses in conservation applications, including experience using Google Earth Engine
- Conservation planning/land use planning experience
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Attention to detail
- Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people
- Experience leading and working with cross functional teams
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages
- Managing time and diverse activities under deadlines while delivering quality results
To apply for job ID 53949, submit your cover letter and current resume online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on October 22, 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Ecology, General / Stewardship, Land Trust|