|Salary Details||$19-24 hourly commensurate with experience|
|Deadline||Dec 22, 2023|
|Required Experience||2 - 6 years|
Lead Forestry Specialist (Timber Sale Preparation and Prescribed Fire)
Ayuda Companies - Fort Jackson, Columbia, SC
Full-time employment: Non-Exempt
Start Date: December 2023
Compensation: $19 - $24/hr commensurate with experience
Ayuda Companies is a successful small business providing expertise and innovation across the environmental, restoration, and compliance service sectors nationwide. Ayuda supports the Department of Defense, NASA, and various commercial clients.
We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical insurance coverage with Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield – with significant Company contribution towards premium (up to a Company contribution of 100% depending on plan selected)
- Dental insurance coverage – with significant Company contribution towards premium
- Vison insurance – with significant Company contribution towards premium
- Flexible spending plans
- 401k with 3% company matching (with a 3% employee contribution) or 4% company matching (with a 5% employee contribution)
- Short Term disability insurance coverage – 100% Company paid
- Long Term disability insurance coverage – 100% company paid
- $50,000 life insurance – 100% Company paid. Additional coverage limits can be added by the employee
- 4 weeks paid personal time off
- 11 holidays
Ayuda’s success is due to our commitment to our valued employees, establishing lasting partnerships, and providing innovative, high-quality services. We conduct our business ethically, honestly and with integrity in everything we do. We leverage our multi-disciplinary strength to benefit our clients and we communicate, collaborate, and execute together as a team.
The candidate will provide technical support to the Natural Resources Conservation and Endangered Species Act compliance programs at Fort Jackson to include forestry, wildland fire, endangered species conservation, and other wildlife management.
The candidate will preferably have completed NWCG S130/S190 wildland fire training and have experience with wildland fire.
Primary job duties include:
30% - Timber Marking
- Marking annual timber harvests as prescribed for multiple objectives.
- Painting boundaries and collecting GPS data for the creation of harvest maps.
30% - Prescribed Fire
- Preparing burn areas and equipment for prescribed fire.
- Assisting with the ignition and mop-up of prescribed fire to acreage identified in the annual prescribed fire plan at Fort Jackson, SC.
- Completes post-burn evaluations and collection of fire weather data necessary for reporting requirements.
25% - Timber Inventory
- Conducting pre and post timber harvest inventory.
- Managing data on inventory software for desktop and mobile device for field collection.
15% - Other Duties as Assigned
- Assisting with wildlife management practices including prepping and planting food plot fields, inventorying and maintaining RCW clusters and migratory bird boxes, and conducting other wildlife surveys.
Candidate must be able to perform physical tasks such as walking while carrying at least 20 lbs for extended periods of time. Candidate should also be capable of lifting and carrying 50 lbs for a short duration. Environment requires working in dense vegetation and in hot, humid weather, raking RCW cavity trees, preparing areas for prescribed burns, and conducting prescribed burns.
- College Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Wildlife Biology, or related discipline with at least 3 years of field experience.
- Ability and willingness to work in challenging field conditions, including long days and inclement weather (extreme heat/humidity, cold).
- Must be comfortable working independently and collaboratively.
- Strong work ethic.
- Experience with ATVs, off-road vehicle operation, and 4-wheel drive vehicles on unimproved roads.
Preferred candidate will also have:
- The ability to safely operate chainsaws, vehicles, agricultural tractors, and implements.
- A clear understanding of the theories of forestry and wildlife management and the ecological management of the longleaf pine ecosystem.
- Experience with GPS units and capable of independent navigation.
- Experience marking and cruising timber.
Candidate must be a U.S. Citizen, have a current driver’s license, be able to pass a background security investigation, and have an original copy of their birth certificate. Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day. Schedule will be determined by work activities and may exceed 8 hours in one day. Occasional weekend or holiday work may occur.
Email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Tags||Wildland Firefighter, Environmental Consulting|