American Conservation Experience
|Salary Details||$20.50/hour - $22.94/hour for 40 hours/week (52 week annualized salary range of $42,640-$47,715.20), depending on experience + Benefit Plan|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
American Conservation Experience (ACE) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing rewarding environmental service opportunities for youth, young adults and emerging professionals of all backgrounds to explore and help restore America's public lands while gaining practical professional conservation experience. As a national conservation corps, ACE holds an established reputation for providing exceptional training and support to allow field crews to safely implement and complete technically complex and critical conservation projects on public lands for the US Forest Service, BLM, National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife Service and numerous state and local land management partners.
Job Title: Logistics Coordinator, Pacific West
Location: This position will be based in Ridgecrest, California . This is an onsite-based position at the ACE Ridgecrest Office.
Department/Division: CREW, Pacific West
Status: Regular Full-Time, Hourly (Non-Exempt)
Schedule/Hours: Full-time. 40 hours/week (Monday- Friday, flexible) with some adjustment expected to accommodate specific projects and program needs. Some evening and weekend hours may be occasionally required. Staff hours occasionally requested over 40/week are compensated with overtime pay.
Reports To: ACE Division Director
Travel: Yes, moderate local and regional travel required.
Desired Start Date: Open until filled
ACE's Pacific West program operates year-round completing trail, restoration, and conservation field projects across the inspiring landscapes of California, Oregon, and beyond. Crews work from the Pacific coast to the peaks of the Sierra Nevada to the Mojave Desert. As an ACE Logistics Coordinator, you will be responsible for providing on-the-ground support at the ACE Pacific West field base in Ridgecrest, CA directly supporting our conservation field crews and projects.
The Logistics Coordinator serves in a crucial support role within the ACE Pacific West Division supporting our conservation field crews. Under supervision, the Logistics Coordinator works alongside Member Support Coordinators and in close collaboration with the Project Managers and Crew Leaders to provide on-the-ground support for crews and projects. The Logistics Coordinator has three major areas of responsibility:
1) Housing and facilities management
2) Fleet management
3) Purchasing and provisioning
The Logistics Coordinator is responsible for providing in-person maintenance and oversight at the ACE warehouses, housing units, and other base facilities as well as coordinating and maintaining ACE fleet vehicles, and is responsible for supporting field crews with meal planning and food shopping. This position is located at ACE Pacific West's field base location of Ridgecrest, CA and requires some regional travel (10%). In this fast-paced and interactive position, you will need to be flexible, adaptable, and enthusiastic working as a member of a dedicated team in an office environment with regular visits to field operation locations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Housing and Facilities
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the PW division with the ACE National Facilities staff, ensuring smooth and regular communication
- Lead the setup of new housing facilities and the maintenance of existing facilities, including undertaking small repairs, functioning of fixtures, HVAC maintenance, painting, correcting normal wear and tear, and exterior property care while coordinating with local contractors
- Assist in the set up and maintenance of warehouse facilities
- Organize room lists for arriving and departing volunteer crew members
- Welcome new members to housing on arrival, including pickup at local airports, and conduct housing orientations; provide support and mentorship to members as needed
- Maintain an annual cleaning and maintenance schedule including fire alarm checks, appliance checks, standards of hygiene, secure property, computer virus checks, etc. for ACE facilities
- Conduct house checks for cleanliness after crews leave for field projects. Enforce disciplinary measures in coordination with division leadership for members or households that do not meet standards
- Purchase and maintain cleaning supplies and other essentials for each housing unit
- Pick up and deliver housing supply orders from local retailers and perform other similar tasks that arise
- Ensuring the alcohol free and drug free housing rules are observed by members and staff
- Be available to respond to housing repair emergencies if they arise and respond in a timely manner
- Serve as the fleet manager for the PW Ridgecrest base and as the primary point of contact with ACE national fleet staff, and ensure smooth, regular communication
- Inspect vehicle and trailer report forms from returning crews and take necessary action regarding any maintenance that may be needed or missing
- Ensure fleet repairs and routine maintenance is conducted in a timely manner and to a professional standard; keep maintenance logs up to date
- Obtain work needed quotes and take vehicles to local mechanics as required
- Be present and assist when crews are preparing to leave on field work (rig up) and when crews return from the field (de-rig) .
- Maintain COVID-19 vehicle response kits and stocks of cleaning supplies for vehicles.
Purchasing and Provisioning
- Plan and develop menus for crews on projects with all dietary concerns and food allergies taken into consideration
- Purchase quality nutritious foods and pack varied perishable and non-perishable ingredients in food bins or coolers Ensure purchases meet standards set for best value for money utilizing unit price research and comparisons, develop relationships with local suppliers
- Repair and maintain sufficient food coolers and dry boxes
- Clean and maintain food storage room to prevent pest intrusion and/or food spoilage, ongoing focus on reducing food waste
- Maintain cookset resupply and camp stoves for conservation crews
- Maintain stocks of personal protective equipment, gloves, hardhats, glasses and ear protection
- Organize storage system for first aid supplies, maintain stock of all first aid items to ensure First Aid Kits can be resupplied weekly
- Fill propane tanks weekly to prepare crews for all field trips
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate. BA/BS degree from an accredited college/university preferred but not required
- 1-2 years of previous experience in volunteer or staff roles with a volunteer or AmeriCorps program, preferably in a Conservation Corps
- Intermediate level computer skills, specifically including knowledge of Microsoft Office products and a familiarity with the Google Apps suite
- Previous experience working with young adults in a team setting
- Knowledge or leadership experience within the conservation field
- General knowledge of fleet (vehicle & trailer) maintenance and repair
- Knowledge of general facility maintenance, improvements, and repair
- Experience shopping for and creating healthy, cost effective recipes for field crews
- Ability to adapt to work environments, schedules, and conditions that can change frequently, often working independently
- Experience in communicating rules and regulations and holding others responsible to expectations
- Experience communicating and maintaining relationships with local vendors such as food suppliers, contractors, auto mechanics, etc.
- Ability to handle concurrent operations in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to travel and camp out for extended periods of time
- Must be flexible and possess a high quality work ethic
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members, partner agency staff, and the general public
- Ability to maintain a positive, constructive work environment conducive to team performance
- Ability to self-manage weekly schedule and meet deadlines
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex safety issues
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, personal timesheet, maintenance reports, and log books
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Valid driver's license and an insurable driving record
- Proficient in English
- Ability to pass a federal criminal background check
- Willing to abide by ACE Policy and Federal Drug Free workplace policies and laws. ACE reserves the right to drug test at any time
- All ACE members and staff must verify that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the time they start their term/position or request a medical or religious exemption.
Individuals who identify with groups typically under-represented in the conservation industry, including women, non-binary individuals, LGBTQ individuals, and people of color are particularly encouraged to apply.
Physical Demands, Work Environment and Working Conditions:
- Physical Demands: Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking, hiking, carrying, using hands to handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, talks and hears. Manual dexterity required for use of hand and power tools, computer keyboard/mouse and other office equipment. Required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and/or crouch. Ability to hike over rough terrain, and camp overnight under field conditions.
- Vision Requirements: Requires close, distance, peripheral and depth perception vision as well as the ability to focus.
- Weight Lifted or Force Exerted: Frequently moves up to 30 lbs., ability to move up to 40 pounds.
- Environmental: Outdoor and indoor conditions. Work environment conditions can change frequently; working under adverse weather conditions and in various climates.
- Noise Environment: Moderate noise.
- Travel: This position requires domestic travel.
Compensation: $20.50/hour - $22.94/hour for 40 hours/week (52 week annualized salary range of $42,640-$47,715.20), depending on experience.
Medical/Health Benefits: ACE offers competitive medical and ancillary plans (health, mental health, dental, vision and other supplemental benefits). ACE Staff members are also eligible to participate in ACE's 403b retirement plan with a 1% employer contribution.
Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time: As an ACE staff member, you will be eligible to accrue up to 80 hours of paid vacation time annually during your first two years of continuous employment, then it increases to 120 hours annually. ACE observes 13 paid annual holidays (floating holiday flexibility). ACE provides 10 days (or 80 hours) of paid sick time annually.
Additional Benefits: Outdoor Perks - As an ACE staff member, you will be eligible to receive pro deals which include deep discounts on outdoor gear providing 30 - 50% off retail prices on 100s of established outdoor gear brands.
Phone Provided or Reimbursement Option: You have the option to select one of the following options: ACE work phone device/number provided or monthly phone reimbursement for personal device/number use.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, one-page cover letter and contact for three professional/academic references to the application link. Qualified applicants will be contacted by email to arrange an interview. Applicants must follow all application instructions in order to be considered for this opportunity. This position may close at any time.
ACE values an inclusive workforce - if you meet at least 70 percent of the qualifications, we want to hear from you!
American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Learn More About American Conservation Experience (ACE)!
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership|