To be considered, please send a resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples from your previous public communications work.
Who we are
Founded in 1978, Friends of Ballona Wetlands is a non-profit organization whose mission is championing the restoration and protection of Los Angeles’ last coastal wetland and educating our diverse community as stewards of nature. We believe that connecting people with the beauty and importance of natural systems can help them make choices that benefit the land and all the species that depend on it.
What we need
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Manager of Communications and Community Engagement. The ideal candidate is dynamic, organized, detail-oriented, responsible, well-spoken, enthusiastic, and capable of making prudent decisions.
Our events occur both on and off site, and the position will have the responsibility of managing events and communications for the organization. The Manager of Communications and Community Engagement oversees all aspects of event planning and management, internal and external events including our annual Moonlight on the Marsh gala fundraiser, along with our communications such as our monthly e-newsletter, website, and social-media marketing.
This position will require some evening and weekend work, depending upon events. This position works independently and in team-based settings and requires some travel and work in outdoor settings at the Ballona Wetlands. The position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years prior experience working in a marketing or communications role
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to interact with the public courteously and professionally
- Passion for and experience engaging diverse communities
- Experience with Constant Contact or similar email marketing software
- Functional knowledge of Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel
- Must be able to manage projects, meet deadlines, and report on progress of assignments
- Must be able to work cooperatively, prioritize tasks, and utilize time effectively
- Proactive, organized, and strongly attentive to detail
- Deep appreciation for the environment
Manager of Communications and Community Engagement Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop messaging to support communications and marketing and fundraising efforts, including newsletters, website copy, social media, brochures, and press releases
- Working with the Executive Director, develop and implement a communications strategy designed to further the organization’s objectives
- Respond to media inquiries and maintain relationships with journalists and other members of the press
- Prepare campaign recap reports and track progress toward goals
- Manage social media, email communications, and website content that correspond with direct mail appeals in collaboration with the team
- Support partnerships, major fundraising events and community programs, with communications ideas and plans in collaboration with the team
- Respond to emails from the public relating to volunteering, events, and general organization information
- Manage photography and document upload, organization, and storage related to outreach materials, including social media
Events and Community Engagement:
- Develop Community Outreach events and initiatives to enhance our existing efforts
- Organize and execute events such as our annual Moonlight on the Marsh Gala, Migration Celebration, and other outreach and fundraising events
- Collaborate and foster relationships with partners to advance programs and initiatives
- Be attentive to the budget while planning events
- Manage and oversee events on the day of including problem-solving, directing event set-up and tear-down, communicating with staff and board, and managing volunteers and vendors
- Manage our Docent Program, including managing docent relations, recruiting, tour scheduling, training, materials, etc.
- Schedule events and post them to the website, manage event registration and group sign-ups
- Fulfill website orders and sustaining member benefits
- Assist with the general needs of the organization and its projects at the discretion of the Executive Director as appropriate.
Health insurance, a retirement plan, and vacation benefits are included as part of employment. In accordance with California Labor Law, employees receive up to 56 hours of paid sick leave per calendar year. All Friends of Ballona Wetlands recognized Holidays will be compensated in accordance to time worked.
Position to start as soon as possible. Full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Must be available for some weekends and evenings. Some flexibility for remote work.
Friends of Ballona Wetlands offers a dynamic work environment with highly motivated staff, interns, and volunteers.
The employee is occasionally required to work in outdoor conditions, reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear. All Friends of Ballona Wetlands staff are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Please note, our office is on the second floor and is not wheelchair accessible.
Friends of Ballona Wetlands is always eager to diversify its staff and reflect our community. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Friends of Ballona Wetlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including but not limited to pregnancy), gender expression, gender identity or sexual orientation, military or veteran status, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, national origin, age, physical and/or mental disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements Friends of Ballona Wetlands complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $66,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
- PR, marketing, and/or communications: 1 year (Preferred)
- Event planning: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
To be considered, please send a resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples from your previous public communications. Please apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/manager-communications-and-community-engagement-317c7da11120a167
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership|