The Huyck Preserve, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located on a 2,000+-acre nature preserve in Rensselaerville, New York, southwest of Albany, invites applications for the position of Membership and Outreach Coordinator. Our mission is to preserve the natural beauty of the Rensselaerville Falls, the watershed of Lake Myosotis and surrounding lands; to conduct long-term research on natural systems as part of a global effort to understand and protect the Earth’s biodiversity; and to increase appreciation of this effort through innovative, field-based educational programs for students, teachers, and the community. For more information, please visit www.huyckpreserve.org.
Membership and Outreach Coordinator:
The Huyck Preserve seeks a Membership and Outreach Coordinator to serve as the key interface with the membership and the community and to be an integral part of day-to-day office operations. This position reports to the Executive Director of the Huyck Preserve and works closely with several committees of the Board. This is a full-time, majority on-site, non-exempt position.
- Running the membership program including processing, tracking, and acknowledging memberships and donations
- Working on outreach initiatives aimed at increasing membership participation
- Formatting and distributing all major mailings
- Coordinating, designing, and distributing the fall and spring newsletter
- Assisting in coordinating the Annual Benefit and Annual Membership Meeting
- Maintaining and building the Preserve’s mailing and email lists
- Promoting Preserve events, activities, and its mission through email, social media, and other outreach materials
- Managing the Preserve’s website
- Planning and participating in the Preserve’s mission-based public events
- Representing the Preserve at public events (e.g. outside festivals) to build public support
- Visitors’ Center:
- Responding to visitor inquiries via phone, email, or general correspondence
- Building volunteer base for Visitors’ Center
- Training Visitors’ Center volunteers and seasonal staff
- Working with Board committee on Preserve merchandise for sale
- Recreation Program
- Overseeing beach passes and kayak rack rentals
- Board of Directors
- Maintaining Board minutes book
- Maintaining up-to-date Board contact lists and bios, committee membership rosters, Board manual, and Board section of the Preserve website
- Coordinating Board meetings and preparing and distributing agenda and required materials
- Purchasing office supplies
- Contributing to team effort by performing other related duties as required
Qualifications and Skills:
The ideal Membership and Outreach Coordinator candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Familiarity with and strong support of all areas of the Preserve’s mission: land conservation and stewardship; biological and environmental research; education; and recreational enjoyment of the Preserve
- Experience and interest in office and computer work, ideally in the nonprofit arena
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and record keeping skills
- Experience with computer programs like Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with or ability to quickly learn Fundraiser Select, Corel Draw, Constant Contact, and Weebly
- Skills in the design and creation of online and printed outreach materials
- Ease with managing social media and websites
- High-quality oral and written communication skills with great attention to detail
- Positive, energetic, and goal-driven personality, with the ability to work with many different constituencies
- Passion and creativity for community building
- Ability to take initiative and work independently but also to be a team player
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Occasional weekend or evening work will be required.
- Finalists must successfully complete a background check before an offer of employment is made.
- All staff must adhere to the Huyck Preserve’s Covid-19 protocols and be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (accommodations may be made for medical or religious needs).
- Full-time, non-exempt position involving approximately 40-hours per week
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications – range $18-$20 per hour
- Generous vacation policy
- Retirement benefit
Procedures for Applying:
- Submit a cover letter and resume to Anne Rhoads, Ph.D., Executive Director, at email@example.com. Include in your application the names and contact information of three professional references.
- Please indicate the approximate date you would be available to begin work.
- Applications will be accepted until January 26, 2024 or until filled.
The Edmund Niles Huyck Preserve is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Admin & Leadership, General / Stewardship, Outdoor Recreation
|Nature Center, Outreach