- Provides scientific and curatorial leadership for the seed germplasm collection at NLGRP, which serves as the back-up site for USDA-ARS National Plant Germplasm System (NPGS)’s collection of plant genetic resources.
- Develops, modifies, and implements “Best Practices” to assure the highest possible quality of physical samples and the data associated with each accession and that both sample and data are safe, secure, and available to requesters.
- Serves as the expert resource for long-term preservation of seed genetic resources under proper storage conditions.
- Ensures collections are backed up in long-term preservation and that they meet international quality standards.
- Provides leadership and mentoring of seed curators related to expanding the management educational/training programs for NPGS, university, industry, and international seed curators and gene banks.
- Ensures accurate and standardized seed inventory data that are recorded in the Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN).
- Works with national/international data systems which are state-of-the-art computer systems and software in support of activities.
- Keeps abreast of new technologies and searches literature for the most applicable procedures, techniques or analyses relevant to projects.
HOW TO APPLY
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.