|Salary Details||$45k-$55k DOE plus benefits|
|Deadline||Feb 15, 2023|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
The Mule Deer Foundation (MDF), and Arizona Game & Fish Department (AZGFD) have created a Cooperative Mule Deer Biologist position to be located at the AZGFD Headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. The position will be hired by the Mule Deer Foundation and will work directly for staff of the MDF in close coordination with the AZGFD and USGS. This position is a full-time, 3-year term position with possible extension based on funding. The position will have a 75-25 office: field ratio but may vary by season.
The individual will be a MDF employee and will be eligible for MDF’s benefits package. The individual will also work closely with the MDF staff and volunteers.
- utilization of the ArcGIS enterprise platform to support project geospatial data and analysis needs with a focus on connectivity corridor mapping and modeling;
- support MDF’s work on conservation projects/planning;
- coordinating regularly with biologists, project leads, MDF staff, and partners to assess geospatial data and application requirements while suggesting preferred spatial analyses and techniques;
- coordination and support of research, habitat improvement, capture operations, and wildlife-vehicle collision mitigation opportunities throughout the state where such actions will benefit mule deer, elk and pronghorn and other wildlife, especially in corridors and winter range; and
- co-represent Arizona or MDF on a multi-agency Corridor Mapping Team;
- identify collaborative contracting opportunities that the MDF and AZGFD may choose to pursue.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Wildlife Biology, Range Management, Forestry or other Natural Resource discipline.
- Preference will be given to a GIS Professional certified individual, or an individual with advanced GIS education to include but not limited to knowledge of geospatial and relational database design, maintenance, and querying.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with MDF, USFS, BLM, USGS, Arizona State Land Department, AZGFD biologists, and other partner agencies.
- Knowledge of range science and wildlife ecology including the ability to develop habitat project plans that include wildlife connectivity objectives.
- Must be able to synthesize and balance needs of mule deer and other conservation opportunities.
- Foundational knowledge in biology and management of mule deer, pronghorn, and elk.
- Knowledge of Southwest flora and fauna communities.
- Position requires working in remote/rugged areas, successful applicant needs to be willing to work alone in inclement weather and adverse conditions.
- Must be a self‐starter who can work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple project tasks simultaneously.
- Familiarity with programming and database management in R and ArcGIS.
- Must be willing and able to perform administrative work in a controlled environment/office setting for an eight‐hour workday.
- Working knowledge of statistical approaches to wildlife science, spatial analyses, Google Suite, and GIS mapping software.
- Excellent verbal/written skills.
To Apply: Application through email only. Please send cover letter, resume and 3 references (combined into one (1) document - MS Word or PDF) with a subject line of - “MDF AZ Shared Biologist Job Application” to email@example.com.
Duty Location: AZGF Headquarters Office, Phoenix, AZ
Salary: $45k - $55k (based on experience) + Health Benefits and 401K. Position is eligible for annual salary increases based on performance.
Application Deadline: 02/15/2023 or until filled
Anticipated Start Date: April 2023 or sooner
Contacts: If you have questions, please contact Steve Belinda - MDF Chief Conservation Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org / (307) 231-3128
Successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and drug test as condition of employment with MDF.
MDF is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace.
This position may be subject to requirements under Executive Order 14042 to mandate vaccinations federal contractors for COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccination or willingness to get vaccinated will be a condition of employment based on current requirements (or those required to work in the AZGF Office.) Per the order, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee for a sincerely held belief for a religious exemption.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||General / Stewardship, Wildlife, Ecology|
|Tags||GIS, Environmental Planning|