|Deadline||Dec 09, 2022|
|Required Experience||2 - 6 years|
The National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD) is the nonprofit organization that represents America’s 3,000 conservation districts and the 17,000 men and women who serve on their governing boards. Conservation districts are local units of government established under state law to carry out natural resource management programs at the local level. Districts work with millions of cooperating landowners and operators to help them manage and protect land and water resources on all private lands and many public lands in the United States.
NACD's mission is to serve conservation districts by providing national leadership and a unified voice for natural resource conservation.
Position Description: The National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD) is seeking a Natural Resource Policy Specialist that will be is responsible for working with the Government Affairs Team to develop NACD’s natural resource policy priorities and work with members, federal agencies, congressional offices, stakeholder groups, and coalitions to advance them. The Natural Resource Policy Specialist works with NACD committees and resource policy groups to develop and communicate policy positions, advance legislative priorities, prepare briefing materials, and educate members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Tracking, analyzing, and developing NACD positions on natural resource issues and policies influencing public and private land and water conservation.
- Developing relationships with federal agencies (including DOI, USDA, and EPA), natural resource coalitions, environmental and industry groups, congressional offices, and other natural resources policy leaders.
- Developing in-depth understanding of relevant legislation, regulations, and agency policies impacting members to strengthen locally led conservation.
- Drafting policy materials, including public comments, bill language, and congressional testimony.
- Communicating complex issues to a variety of audiences through articles, blog posts, and presentations.
- Working across NACD teams to respond to a variety of membership needs and requests.
- Planning and managing membership and partner meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience.
- Familiarity with endangered species, invasive species, forestry, wildfire, WOTUS, drought, and rangeland policies preferred.
- Familiarity with western-focused natural resources issues, including wildfire, water management, and public lands preferred.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and strong writing skills.
Location: This position is located in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Director of Government Affairs. Currently, NACD is operating on a hybrid working schedule with two days in office and three days working from home. Fully remote work options will be considered.
Interested candidates should email resume and cover letter to the attention of NACD HR with ‘Natural Resource Policy Specialist’ in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, December 9th, 2022 to receive priority consideration. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||General / Stewardship, Policy And Law|